SWB0 UNO under the SNO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got more shoveling to do before i can start on this. I got the bike as a challenge last spring. The stuck seat post is broken off in the seat tube with the top of the remaining post about 1 inch down in the frame. And the bike has been sitting out a few years before i bought it. Missing seat, post, chain rusted solid, bike won't roll. The previous owner told me he used do deliver pizza's on it. Arrrh Forbidden Donuts.

After the first foot of snow.

IMG_1702.JPG

After another foot of snow.

IMG_6496.JPG

Last edited:
LOL I'm not in Iowa but I ain't thawed out yet to get on mine either....

Temps in the 30s so snow is melting. You can see the bike now.

An avalanche of snow landed on the next batch of bikes. Steel roof on the shed, facing south. Sorry I missed seeing that.

IMG_6519.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

de-snowed and thawing out.

two stickers on the seat tube for RHAT. Hum, a local band some where or rude slang in NY/Penn ? I will try to remove those without damaging the paint or factory decals.

Chain so rusty its getting shorter and trying to climb off the chainring.

pedals

Img_6575.jpg

IMG_6567.JPG
IMG_6571.JPG
IMG_6565.JPG
Motobecane.USA.JPG
RAHT (2).JPG

Hum, a local band some where or rude slang in NY/Penn ?
Slightly rude political comment, your bike leans republican.
download.jpeg

Rahm Emanuel, 3 terms in the House of Representatives, White House Chief of Staff, Mayor of Chicago, currently Ambassador to Japan.

Bike dismantled. remains of the seat post extracted. not too hard. Reciprocating saw. Cut several slots in the post, a couple taps and it loosened up. About 20 minutes on that. The pedals are not going to come out without taking the aluminum threads with them. I was going to reuse the cranks but not a chance. I cleaned off the pedal axles and have it soaking in penetrating oil but I have no hope of getting them out. Took some hammering to get the fork out. Chain rusted nearly solid. All the bearings were stuck but I put some wd in them and they are loosening up including the single cog freewheel. All will get repacked/replaced.

First washing of the frame. Most of those extra stickers came right off. Some were covered in clear shipping tape that the water released okay. Lots of chips in the paint. Looks like a thick stove enamel with no primer. I may try to touch up all the chips. There are only a few thousand shades of white so the chances of a perfect match are low. The frame is pretty lightweight. Tig welded cromo.

seat.post.remains (2).JPG
seat.post.remains (5).JPG
seat.post.remains (1).JPG

cranks off. bb out. Peddles are being very stubborn. One pedal shaft is cut about 1/3 of the way in the cone threads.

FSA.cranks (1).JPG

Back at it.

Frame scrubbed with emery mesh and water to get the scum off. And some of the rust on the many large deep chips. masked off the decals and sprayed some white. Another scrubbing. And the chips show so I dabbed on white rustoleum. I'll block sand those spots when it dries.

Rear dropouts were bent so that took some doing. Cromo frames take a lot of effort to bend. The rear wheel now sits straight without bending the axle.

Front hub repacked. replaced the cones too.

Rear wheel dismantled. Sealed cartridge bearings were pressed in. They are good so they stayed in. Hollow bolt on axle. Hum. Took the gears off for more scrubbing. A stiff brush and some orange goop worked pretty well.

Tires on the wheels. One rim presta, the other drilled out for shraeder so mismatching valves.

Pedal axles are now removed from the crank. Took some aluminum threads out with it but the black cranks are still useable.

White seat, black alloy flat bars ready. Seat post. I tried several sizes and a 26.6 seems to fit best.

Red brakes? i have 1 pair red aluminum, 2 pair red steel (junky). and some tired looking red levers. There is a little bit of red in the decals to match. Meh, still looking.

I had a pair of red Suntour BMX pedals. Hum, needed a repack. Faded out red anodized finish that would match the brakes. Put them on ebay and they sold in 8 minutes.

Suntour.BMX.pedals (3).jpg

I had a pair of red Suntour BMX pedals. Hum, needed a repack. Faded out red anodized finish that would match the brakes. Put them on ebay and they sold in 8 minutes.
No doubt, those look nice. Check out the name on the bolt heads, they didn't cut corners

Brake selection.
reds are stamped steel. Not worth installing on any bike. Bottom feeder BSO gear. ugh.

left to right.
2 pair stamped steel. Ugh

2 pair alloy. cheap no name.

1 pair Tektro alloy nice but need 2 pair.

brake.selection.jpg

I would consider fitting the nice alloy singleton on the front, then one of the wriggly steel ones on the back until something better turns up. At least the wriggly ones look nice.

Done.

pretty nasty weather out today so a very short ride and some quick photos.

23.6 pounds. Not to bad. Cromo frame helps keep the weight down and the ride quality good.

New pedals, seat post clamp, cables, bb, grips.
Used parts: seat, seat post, stem, bars, headlight, chain, brakes.
Original parts: wheels, crank arms & ring, headset.

paint touched up a bit. Frame wet sanded with 800 grit to try to get it looking better. Waxed. Looks okay from a distance, pretty rough up close.

Water bottle cage mounting bolts were aluminum and corroded in. 1 snapped off when I tried to get them out.

Mangled seat tube with the broken off seatpost recovered well. Post wasn't that hard to get out. Cold set the seat tube to nearly round again. I used a bolt type seat post clamp for a sturdier grip. No qr lever type for this bike would work.

23.6 pounds counting my greasy finger prints. Why I don't like white or yellow bikes. At least my wife gave up trying to dress me in nice clothes that are sure to get messed up in minutes. Tires are kinda heavy and the stem is a brick.

Overhauled the front hub but it still rumbles. Only noticeable on the stand.
IMG_7294.JPG

Img_7297.jpg

Img_7298.jpg

IMG_7293.JPG

Last edited:
Sub 24 lbs is pretty respectable for chromoly. Singlespeed and skinnies save a lot of weight! You'd have to start spending lots, or break out the drill to shave off much more

Latest posts

Back