USPS are stupid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am in the process of shipping a bike to Texas and it was supposed to be there on the 13th...Well I looked up the tracking info and evidently USPS don't know what TO and FROM mean. It went from here in Kokomo to a sorting facility in IA, then on to Dallas, TX, then back to Kokomo? Then back to Des Moines, IA again. Maybe the bike likes car rides.

Anybody else have problems with USPS? I have never had any problems with damages or lost packages but I have had more than a few that were later than what they said they would be.

I walked in with a money order recently, the postmaster looks at it and say "this needs to be made out to the post office if you want cash". I said "no, it's from this other guy payable to me, the other guy pays the post office cash, you issue the money order, then you turn the money order back into cash for me'. they reply "haven't you done one of these before"...uh yeah...they had to call someone to double check. :shock:

Garrysr said:
It is trying to make it to my house...thus the double trip to Des Moines... :D

It's just a Huffy don't get too excited. Sold it to a guy in San Antonio for $250 shipped.

Walker said:
I walked in with a money order recently, the postmaster looks at it and say "this needs to be made out to the post office if you want cash". I said "no, it's from this other guy payable to me, the other guy pays the post office cash, you issue the money order, then you turn the money order back into cash for me'. they reply "haven't you done one of these before"...uh yeah...they had to call someone to double check. :shock:

That's funny, some people you have to wonder about.

As they say some of us were dropped on our head as a baby, then others were thrown into the air, hit the ceiling fan, bounced off a wall, out a 3rd story window, bounced off the building next door, then landed on their head. :lol:

I've always had an easy time with usps. In fact I prefer them over other services. The cost has gone up which makes this hobby a little more difficult. But the "free" tracking they now give us actually seems to be more comprehensive than in the past. I guess they are being more careful to log the numbers at all postal hubs instead of just larger hubs. At least with usps my packages don't get destroyed. Fed ex has been kind enough to bend some wheels, fold a non-folding frame, and snap nearly every stud off of a vw engine case for me. UPS does good but pricey. Hopefully your situation improves. Eventually someone at usps will figure out where it needs to go. It reminds me of when a suitcase gets lost in a cartoon and returns with stickers from every city and country.

My experience, simply put..
USPS. PROS: Lower cost, have never lost or damaged a package. CONS: long line, no matter time or day, and not the brightest people, so a little more humdrum "who cares" attitude, and not the easiest to get to (as there are less offices, at least in my area). Basically more time, lower price, at least in my area.
UPS, PROS: Friendly service, quick in and out, more locations (at least in my area), Also have never lost or damaged a package. CONS: Price. Better for me, as in ease, but higher priced. Also not the brightest people, but a better system, so the fools there just follow the system, a little more idiot proofed. Basically, less time, but higher priced.

The post office will lose your package and doesn't give a rip they did!
UPS has trained gorrilla's that load and unload trucks, package your stuff carefully! Case in point, I shipped a brand new computer in the box for it, they'd slammed it so hard that the RAM chips nearly exited the board they plugged into. Yes they were locked in!

I shipped 20" wheel discs to someone on this forum who forgot to update their Paypal ship to address. So they went to their old address. USPS didn't forward them OR send them back to me. Gone. They just kept them I guess. Infuriating.

Yep, those discs are gone somewhere. But they weren't that costly, if a frame or something was lost, that would be bad. I actually had the correct address in pay pal, but it saved the old one and defaulted back to it without me seeing it. But no notification from USPS, although I had moved 5 years ago from ND.

OH that was you, ha! Ya, I am still mad about that. I mean, what's a return address for if they don't use it? I keep hoping someday they're going to show up on my door (or yours).

EDIT:

So I had a chat with my local USPS person, and they said it very well may show up someday on my door. When undeliverable, it goes to a special division, forget the name, but basically it has to be weighed again, and a price of return delivery determined, then I have to be informed of that price, I have to pay the price (gladly I will), and THEN it gets returned to me. IF, and that's a big if, the system works the way it's supposed to. At which point she made an awkward face, that told me she doesn't have much confidence in the system.

Yeah I've never had anything lost or damaged with USPS... just late :roll: and it is the easiest for me because I usually do postal money order so I have to go to the post office anyway and it's close by. The last time I shipped a bike through UPS it arrived with a dually tire track across the box and was entirely destroyed...never again will I ever use UPS. And I have heard some real horror stories about Fed Ex but have never used them personally. I looked up the tracking and it is there but he wasn't home to sign for it so they took it back to the post office. He will pick it up later today. I'm glad they didn't just leave it on the doorstep to get stolen.

Yikes!

I am shipping a bike to Oregon and went through and checked the prices with USPS webpage.

If I keep the box 44 x 24 x 8 or smaller, it's about 35 bucks for a 30 lb bike. One inch over that and it jumps to $108. It was $15- $65 not that long ago. Maybe I can get the whole 20" bike in there.

Checked my mail yesterday and there was a letter for an address 2 miles away from me. Who ever mailed it payed $6.00 (priority with delivery conformation). I drove it over to the house and delivered it myself.

$6 for a 44 cent letter.

wow the world is just to rushed now days.

Back