UUMMMM?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone had a link to heavy duty chains awhile ago.Does anybody know were it is?Can't seem to dig it up. :?

Nothing huh? How about ideas for a beefier looking chain.I thought I saw on on here a month or two ago.I have a feeling when I put my build off bike together the chain is going to look like a thread.Any help or ideas would be great.Thanks. :mrgreen:

That wasn't the post i remember but something like that is what I'm looking for.Looks tons better for what I have in mind than the regular stuuf I have.Maybe Social had the original post I'm thinking of.It was just about the chain but i don't remember what section.Regardless I have a direction to head in.Thanks again Markm. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KMC makes a heavy duty BMX chain. There's also half link chains. I don't think they look beefy, just different. If you're really feeling it, you might be able to salvage some motorcycle bits for an obnoxiously heavy duty set up. Or fab up some adapters and make a double chain set up (never seen it on a bike). If you've got time to kill and a local (non-box) hardware store, cruise on down and see if they have beefy chain that's 1/2" on center by 1/8." Freak Bikers might be able to help out too. They've got some beefed out contraptions, and somebody may have matching chain.

Good looking out.I was thinking motorcycle stuff but haven't looked into it yet.I've seen a multi chain set up before on a trike but that didn't have to deal with tire clearance.Appreciate the tips. :mrgreen:

KMC makes a chain the 415H(1/2 X 3/16) as shown in the post link MarkM gave above, it is seriously thick and heavy much more so than even KMCs 410H (1/2 X1/8) which is itself noticebaly thicker/heaveier than a normal bike chain. I'll post a pic tonight with all 3 side-by-side.

The 415H size chain used to be used on motorcycles

tsc (farm supply) stores here in canada carry a wide variety of chains and sprockets.

what about the chains/sprockets from those 49cc engine kits. there dirt cheap and bigger/beefier.
IMG_4906.jpg

That would do it.Thanks for the comparison pic, big help.Stuff isn't crazy loot either which is always good. :mrgreen:

ExtraBlaze said:
That would do it.Thanks for the comparison pic, big help.Stuff isn't crazy loot either which is always good. :mrgreen:

Rural King has the beefier chain that the motorbike kits use, not sure the exact # but i think its #41 chain..... i think ....

Here's the lowdown; top chain is a skip tooth 1" X 3/16
2nd down is a KMC415H 1/2X3/16
third is a KMC410H 1/2X1/8
4th is an SRAM PC1 1/2X1/8 - "normal size" bike chain

IMG_1096.jpg

Low down is right.That's a sweet pic Social 8) .Definitely a huge difference.Is the profile of the KMC bigger? Thanks for taking the time for the pic.That's some camera you have. :mrgreen:

Here's the profiles, huge difference once again on the 415H. Camera is just a little Canon point & shoot

IMG_1097.jpg

cool pic's!
2 and 3 are the same chains i posted. i used those kmc heavy duty bmx chains on all my builds.
not cause there a great chain, cause there only $5 here in town. :)

Back