Vinegar rust removal question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to soak a Dyno chainring in white vinegar to remove some rust. It's the solid, grooved chainring with black paint around the periphery.
Will the vinegar affect the paint in a negative way? Do you have any suggestions for a better method that doesn't include harsh chemicals?
Thanks in advance!

I tried vinegar to remove rust in a mower gas tank once. This was highly recommended by a well known tractor forum and everyone swore it worked like a miracle. NOT TRUE..The vinegar was worthless. Dont waste your time with that save it for cleaning your coffee pot.

White vinegar works but it takes a LONG time, The best thing I have found for doing things like this is Oxalic acid (wood bleach). Just be sure to clean the part thoroughly afterword. Also it will not harm paint in most cases. DO NOT use it on aluminum.

its a good cheap way to remove rust, i used apple vinger on some tools awhile back that were rusty...soak take out scrub rince off, repeat until all rust is gone doesnt effect paint...just takes awhile at the end ul wanna wd40 it down!

I have used successfully but only on parts that had light rust peppering. Works great for stems, seat posts where you might not want to risk scratching good chrome. It wont clean up a heavily rusted part. It's only Vinegar after all.

I have left rusty parts in vinegar over a 24 hour period then scrubbed off with a toothbrush and finally a little chrome polish. I did not regret doing it. The first time I tried it, I did expect for the rust to come off in an hour. Let the items soak for a day and rust comes off clean.

Yes it will workon bicycle chains. I have done 2 so far. Like the post say, it takes a little while, do not get impatient.

Sorry did not read post, you said chain ring not chain.

Hi! This is one of my favorite topics because I hate rust and can only afford white vinegar. Using white vinegar is NOT for the impatient - if you are looking for something quick & easy look elsewhere. It will remove any type of rust from a non-pitted surface rust to the ultra pitted rust. The secret is in the timing. I set the alarm on my watch when I'm working with vinegar because if you aren't careful it can take off things you don't want and by that I mean if it can find a way to get under chrome or paint and you leave in too long it can eat out what is underneath leaving the chrome and paint falling off. I have forgot about parts sometimes and left them in a week and the chrome in the vinegar literally disolved into a black liquid that left nasty residue on anything that was put in it - like your hands. I don't wear gloves - another advantage of the vinegar. For light non pitted rust on the surface start with a couple hours, brush the area and repeat until the amount of rust you want removed is gone. For very deeply pitted rust leave it in overnight, brush again and repeat till all the rust is gone. If you are removing rust down to the bare metal I strongly suggest coating the bare metal immediately with something - oil, clear coat, primer, etc. - it will start rusting quickly with no protection.

I personally like the look of clear coated bare metal. I'll derust nuts, bolts anything that is normally bare metal. Then before I clear coat it I buff it with a dremel tool and a wire brush attachment which really brings out the natural color of the bare metal. This for me is therapy - after working 45 years at jobs I didn't especially care for it's very relaxing and rewarding for me to take a pile of rust and make it look brand new. This procedure can be time consuming so if you don't need the therapy you may want to move on to more modern products. In conclusion, white vinegar for removing rust is cheap, safe to use and will remove ANY amount of rust but may be time prohibitive. Have Fun! Robert

The Vinegar Technique was used on all the Headset Parts including Cups, all the Shockmaster Springer Parts, Stem & Bolts, Axle Nuts & Washers, Seat Post Clamp & Bolt, Seat Clamp Parts, Seat Post, etc for this RRBBO5 entry.
24.jpg

25.jpg

9.jpg

Back