Vintage Chrome to restore or not and other noob questions.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So hey everyone. New to the site here. I grew up in the BMX era, and I've been a mountain biker for the past 5 years. I've recently been collecting bikes and have just been exposed to the world of tank cruisers, However I'm unsure how or what I should do with 2 of them.

In my collection now I have:
mid 50s Murray womens cruiser - I got this in a trade from craigslist, its been poorly repainted, is missing a few pieces like a seat, rack, and light I assume. Also not sure if the chainguard is orig. I would guess that the above kinda makes this bike not worth a whole lot, so anyways, I'm planning on disassembling, prepping and respraying this one and just keeping it as a rider.

A Late 30s CWC roadmaster superb womens cruiser, has a great patina on it, everything seems to be totally original, minus a front headlight. I currently have no plans on restoring this bike. The handlebar rust has become pitted. Is it even possible to restore something in that condition? My skill level and budget is not high enough to attempt on restoring it. I more than likely will try and sell or trade it.

and lastly a mid 50s AMF Shelby Explorer I recently GARBAGE PICKED that is in immaculate condition. Has original everything on it, including the paint matched streamers and grips. There is minor rust spots starting to pop on both the paint and the chrome. Paint is still very shiny when cleaned off. Very minor rust, I could easily clean the rust off of the chrome, and it would look like new. I plan on putting new tires and tubes on it, and selling or trading it.

However my main concern is whether or not I should clean and polish the chrome on this bike, would that detract from the value or potential buyers?

And also, is anyone selling a headlight for the CWC or a rear rack for the murray ? What would be the fair market value on getting those parts? The seat I am unconcerned about, as it will be a personal rider.

Yes, on cleaning up the chrome on that 3rd bike. Then wax it to seal the pits to prevent it from reappearing. i use turtle car wax on my bikes. The new stuff is pretty long lasting. A waxed bike stays cleaner longer and is easier to dust off.

rick

If you're going to restore an old tank bike do a boys bike. You'll end up with the same money input whether it's a boys or girls, but in the end you'll never get your money back out of a girls bike when you go to sell. Gary

Latest posts

Back