Vintage Raleigh 3 Speed Score, Need Help W/ The Year ID...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scored this off of craiglist here locally in Harrisburg, PA. Got the guy down to $25. It needs some love like new tubes, shifter adjustment, etc. But I LOVE this bike. My first Raleight. I may dump some serious cash into her to make her extra special. Drove 40 minutes each way to go down and get her. Serial # is: RN020453. I know Schwinn serial #'s, but not Raleighs. It's a Sport model. Serial number is just below the seat post on the frame. Any idea? Thanks in advance. Would love to narrow down a year. Whoo hoo!!

Looks like 80's, maybe made in USA if after '84, not sure.
You can check on the back Sturmey-Archer hub, you have a two digits number which gives the year of the hub. You can image the bike is from that year maybe one year newer.

It can be "80 8", probably 1980-81.
Nice bike. Today I just refused to buy for 40$ a Raleigh Sport, 70's, nice condition.
My car was full: a Peugeot and two Raleigh road bikes. Need a truck.

That's 1980. I used to have one just like it and it rode beautifully. I sold it to help fund a trip to a wedding years ago, and I miss it. Awesome bike.

Excellent riding bike! When I was a kid I hated working on them for fear a friend would catch me out riding them!
Alloy wheels(rims) really help them ride even better.

Sweet, thanks for the help. I believe you guys are right, that it is a 1980. Any idea of the value of these in relatively good condition?

Excellent riding bike! When I was a kid I hated working on them for fear a friend would catch me out riding them!
Alloy wheels(rims) really help them ride even better.
Ya! I may have to replace my '71 Raleigh Superbe rims with the alloys because I am having a tough time finding decent vintage ones at reasonable prices! My originals are rusty and looking to make it a little purdier!

I paid $60 for mine at a thrift store, and it was mint. Sold it for a $100. I don't think they have a ton of value and aren't rare, but are solid bikes (and good commuters) and would be worth 100-150 to the right person into neck of the woods.

Back