BO15 WAHA-SEDB-3 (TRIKE-TOR...2nd Place)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the Sandy Beach 26”x2.5” tire. Mounted it measures out at 2.3”. Fits pretty snug.
15d33d72902758a5ab037d4a8b7d75af.jpg

I fit a new Bell Chain but need to find a couple of parts to finish the quick link.
3178f5129a486567db5fe09ec71cac1d.jpg

ae162fec3eb45f58a9d07289fe041ae3.jpg

1330957e423ef49816f7d9c9c0328433.jpg

b0f7e897ca2f6313370a51a1225452a1.jpg

bbe636f1d48618a3896c37e02b27d931.jpg

Now I need to service and clean up the rear wheel.

One of our sons has been following this build. He made a comment today about how I could be aging some parts. He is into building “Cigar box ukuleles and cigar box guitars”, they are pretty detailed. “CBG or CB Gitty are the ‘rat rod’ names” to quote him. So I guess “Rat Rods” are in our family gene pool.
I borrowed the following link from Google for some images. I don’t know that any of his are there.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...box+guitars&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web&.tsrc=apple

Last edited:
Love that Sandy Beach on there! Really fills out the wheel well, er, fender, well.
I'll have to check out the CBG link. I've been wanting to make a dobro style using a gas can.

Noticed this build thread has cracked 8K views. I’d think there would be more comments with that many views, must be some lurkers. That’s fine though, all are welcome, all “Likes” matter. Comments are welcome for this off the wall Trike-Tor. Some contemplated, some considered, some cast off, some ignored, then there’s humor, satire and ridicule.
Views, Comments and Likes, it’s all good. As this build winds down I’ll spend more time lurking out there myself. There’s some neat stuff going on out there.

Finally got the Sandy Beach 26”x2.5” tire. Mounted it measures out at 2.3”. Fits pretty snug.
15d33d72902758a5ab037d4a8b7d75af.jpg

I fit a new Bell Chain but need to find a couple of parts to finish the quick link.
3178f5129a486567db5fe09ec71cac1d.jpg

ae162fec3eb45f58a9d07289fe041ae3.jpg

1330957e423ef49816f7d9c9c0328433.jpg

b0f7e897ca2f6313370a51a1225452a1.jpg

bbe636f1d48618a3896c37e02b27d931.jpg

Now I need to service and clean up the rear wheel.

I'm going to have to check those tires out. Looks like they fill space nicely!

I'm going to have to check those tires out. Looks like they fill space nicely!

The Sunlite Sandy Beach are one of my favorites. And the wider the rim you put them on, the fatter they get. Here they are on my BO 14 build, Trans-MIG- RaT. 57 mm rims, nearly the full 2.5" across.
Final photo 3 TransRaT.jpg

They are also lightweight, great ride feel, and pretty inexpensive. You can get them through any LBS that has a JBI.bike account.

Can you get an overall height measurement please? I'm guessing the mounted tire is over 26"?

I have an old Huffy Good Vibrations with pretty good sized fenders to fill. These might "fill" the bill.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The Sunlite Sandy Beach are one of my favorites. And the wider the rim you put them on, the fatter they get. Here they are on my BO 14 build, Trans-MIG- RaT. 57 mm rims, nearly the full 2.5" across.
View attachment 126560

They are also lightweight, great ride feel, and pretty inexpensive. You can get them through any LBS that has a JBI.bike account.

Thanks OJ!!

One of our sons has been following this build. He made a comment today about how I could be aging some parts. He is into building “Cigar box ukuleles and cigar box guitars”, they are pretty detailed. “CBG or CB Gitty are the ‘rat rod’ names” to quote him. So I guess “Rat Rods” are in our family gene pool.
I borrowed the following link from Google for some images. I don’t know that any of his are there.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...box+guitars&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web&.tsrc=apple

That's pretty cool. I agree with you son about aging some of the parts. It seems to me that the contrast between the rusty patina and the new hardware is a bit extreme. It would look much better if the brightwork of the hardware was toned down a notch to fit the vibe.

" One of US, one of US, Gooble Gobble...."

https://cigarboxnation.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=0ds7etk4kaq77
My condolences on our shared obsession. :21:

Can you get an overall height measurement please? I'm guessing the mounted tire is over 26"?

I have an old Huffy Good Vibrations with pretty good sized fenders to fill. These might "fill" the bill.

Looks to be 26.625” +/- DIA.
Wider rim would increase width and decrease diameter.
I used them on my BO#13 and BO#12 projects.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I agree with you son about aging some of the parts. It seems to me that the contrast between the rusty patina and the new hardware is a bit extreme. It would look much better if the brightwork of the hardware was toned down a notch to fit the vibe.

He suggested using Bluing fluid and a flame, not sure that’s good with zinc. I’ve mixed feelings about the shine.
Thinking about setting it out in the next rain, the raw steel and cut edges will lose their shine quickly.

Mazda Flyer, not sure if a rear rack fits in your plans, but I saw these miniature watering troughs at Wally World and thought one would be cool on the rear of an agricultural themed bike.
44932897ba10d86ed253dd57a9faafbf.jpg

Those are kool Andy! What are the dimensions? Hard to judge the scale with them sitting on the shelf.

Mazda Flyer, not sure if a rear rack fits in your plans, but I saw these miniature watering troughs at Wally World and thought one would be cool on the rear of an agricultural themed bike.
44932897ba10d86ed253dd57a9faafbf.jpg

All comments are good, but the jury is out on this one.
Maybe a nice post ride beverage ice bucket.

Last edited:
He suggested using Bluing fluid and a flame, not sure that’s good with zinc. I’ve mixed feelings about the shine.
Thinking about setting it out in the next rain, the raw steel and cut edges will lose their shine quickly.
Zinc parts are easy to deal with. Just soak them in a container of vinegar for a day or two then take them out and let them dry. Rust rust rust. Or if you really want to remove it in a hurry use muriatic acid for about a minute or two! Just wear gloves, respirator, goggles etc. and work outside!

Zinc parts are easy to deal with. Just soak them in a container of vinegar for a day or two then take them out and let them dry. Rust rust rust. Or if you really want to remove it in a hurry use muriatic acid for about a minute or two! Just wear gloves, respirator, goggles etc. and work outside!

I’ve done vinegar and salt water before. Too much rust. A greasy used look might be OK. I hear there is a dust plume from Africa coming. Maybe a light coat of oil and set it outside to collect some dust and grit.
Not sure I’m wanting to tear it down and nuke all the parts. Might experiment with some wipe on, brush on stuff or the bluing compound, a torch and respirator.

Latest posts

Back