Wal-Mart sells cool bikes????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hollandia Opa Citi is made in China; the Dutch Hollandia's are made in Bulgaria with China made parts; this according to an online search I just did.
The snobs will say the 'real Dutch bike at $1400 is better; maybe so, but I cant afford one.

in my experience with walmart bikes, the simpler the bike the fewer problems i seem to have with it. my lajolla and my cranbrooks gave me very few problems because very few components. on the other hand, any 18 or 21 speed mountain bikes i've bought from there (nexts and a few roadmasters) have been riddles with problems because they are more complex.

Roadmaster,

I agree with you on that cranebrook. I bought one off a dude that had a blown out front wheel (somehow the spokes exploded) and butterfly stickers. I beat that thing like a red headed step child.. All I did was repaint it and buy a new front wheel. It always was motorized too. At one point it had a 4-stroke that I grenaded the automatic gear box on while riding down the feeder of I35 here in Austin. Then I threw a 2-stroke on it. I finally repainted it and gave it to my church. I don't think I ever changed the bearings out on it - never needed to and when I last road it, the coaster brake was still going strong.

want my .02? Well, tuff! You're getting 'em anyways.

Wal Mart does not make a bike. They do not make toys. They do not make groceries. Also, Target does not make bikes. Neither does Academy, ....'s, any sporting good store, discount store, chain store. And yes, you got it, neither does the local run bike shop. They simply purchase the bikes from suppliers and resell them to make a profit.

So, I think that maybe the topic should get back on track to..."Wal-Mart sells cool bikes????"

yes.

please do not discount a bike because it was assembled incorrectly.

please do not assume that just because you are buying a bike from a specialty bike shop, it is a quality bike.

I absolutely love this site because of the knowledge and knowledge sharing. Keep on reviewing bikes and posting the results! Please! We all could use the advantage of one's luck, misfortune etc. when buying a bike.

DK bikes in Wally World?! awesome. Sidehacks?! great. Huffy?! if you want one.

if you truely want that cool bike though....

build it.

-j

big john said:

Wal Mart does not make a bike. They do not make toys. They do not make groceries. Also, Target does not make bikes. Neither does Academy, ****'s, any sporting good store, discount store, chain store. And yes, you got it, neither does the local run bike shop. They simply purchase the bikes from suppliers and resell them to make a profit.

So, I think that maybe the topic should get back on track to..."Wal-Mart sells cool bikes????"

yes.

please do not assume that just because you are buying a bike from a specialty bike shop, it is a quality bike.

I absolutely love this site because of the knowledge and knowledge sharing. Keep on reviewing bikes and posting the results! Please! We all could use the advantage of one's luck, misfortune etc. when buying a bike.

build it.

I like this train of thought. 8)
Sorcerer

-j

saw this 29" aluminum frame bike at wal mart today,almost came home with it

29bike.jpg

benhiers said:

29bike.jpg

That is hilarious. Looks like the decal worker in China forgot how to spell ONYX. This is the only one of these that I have seen spelled wrong.

I think they carry a few decent enough ones.

I have a 2011 LaJolla that I stuck the cheapy creepy "Scwinn" rack on. Have some ammo cans I'm painting black and argent to match the frame. Adding the peaked fenders from my Firestone (CWC) because they match the LaJolla rims. Fenders on the stock LaJolla are straight up crap, very flimsy. But it is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever toyed with.

Bought our friend/farmhand a Cranbrook. He loves it almost as much as the Felt MP he had to leave when he moved (also cost him his Cadillac, Harley and an XS650, at least he kept his 1500 Drifter). And it is just as reliable so far.

My pre-war Henderson is starting the full rebuild process. Cleaned and packed the front hub today. New spokes are getting installed Friday (by someone at a well established local shop, I don't do spokes). Having 2 wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes is costing me more than both new bikes combined. And I'll still need to track down some way to rebuild the original pedals. And strip and paint the thing. And track down a new seat or make a new pan (mine is rotten). Plus buy tubes, tires, new fender stays if I can't straighten the old ones, find and install the rack (garage ate it), find the chainguard, make a rear stand for it, paint everything that was originally chromed... And at 6'2" 230#... The thing is too small to ride.

My 50's Firestone is in better cosmetic shape but needs: wheels, seat, steering stem and bar, fenders, rack, tubes, tires, chain guard, rack, etc.

I for one am glad that Wallyworld and such carry the lower cost bikes. At least I have something to ride while spending far too much money on my antiques. Which will sure look good with my Cal Look Super Beetle and 49 Dodge truck lowrider. Which are also both down right now, so I guess Outbacks and Rangers serve a purpose too... :lol:

Hearing that you are 'a good sized boy' and like that LaJolla, I'll have to take another look at it (I go 6'1" x 205);......
I envy you the Henderson.
BTW, I had a first year Drifter, probably the best large roadster I ever had, and somethin' fast too. Named mine 'Super Chief' thinkin' it could have been what Indian might have been.

The only reason I'm doing the Henderson is it has been in the wife's family since it was new. Well, and her grandfather rode police Henderson and Excelsior motorcycles. And I used to ride a Henderson single cylinder motorcycle.

Keep the bars low and raise the seat all the way and the LaJolla works pretty good. Just deep six those god awful stock fenders. They wiggle and hit the tire sidewall nubs.

kingfish254 said:
benhiers said:

29bike.jpg

That is hilarious. Looks like the decal worker in China forgot how to spell ONYX. This is the only one of these that I have seen spelled wrong.

I don't know how easy it is to see, but, top one is spelled incorrectly, bottom one is correct...

onyx.jpg

I was thinking about this thread a little bit. Haven't all the BEST bikes been sold at through the massive bargain chain of their time?

that's kinda true. my golden days was around the muscle bike era and besides krates, most of the other's were in the department stores. sears, pennys, western auto (not really a dept. store, but not a bike shop either) etc. they had the bikes i wanted.

I can honestly say I dot lime the lajolla. My mama has one and it handles wierd. Especially compared to my stepdads schwinn beach cruiser.

So I had to go take a look in person..........
One of our local stores (we have several around us reasonably close) had a little older model of the Huffy Cranbrook. The current stock model has painted 1.5" wide steel rims, 26" and, although the whitewall tires say 2.125 they measure out at about 1.95, black fenders, blue or silver/grey frame & fork. This older model has 1" wide alloy rims (!!) and the same tires, but they are more of a cremewall than whitewall (yeah) and the silver/grey frame & fork is complimented by creme fenders. They said this one had 'been around a while'. Now, I was going to use the wheelset with about 1.5" high pressure 26" city tires for MTBs and strip off the other parts for projects, but I just had to ride it to make sure it works OK. I swapped around my seats and stems/bars to get a good fit for me (its a 42.5" wheelbase, 18" steat tube, 21" top tube and about a 10" BB height, 44/19 sprockets) and it not only looks good but rides good too. All this and it was out the door with enough left over from a $100 bill to get a meal at McDs. Is that like 'change back from my dollar'?
Big deal, I had to adjust the headset bearings and the welds are a bit cobby, stand back (and take off the Huffy stickers) and it has that classic American cantilever frame look. I just dont know if I want to part it out now!
BTW, the La Jolla looked good too, in a more modern style frame, but this one had more 'parts' that I wanted to 'use' so it got the nod.

big john said:

Wal Mart does not make a bike. They do not make toys. They do not make groceries. Also, Target does not make bikes. Neither does Academy, ****'s, any sporting good store, discount store, chain store. And yes, you got it, neither does the local run bike shop. They simply purchase the bikes from suppliers and resell them to make a profit.

yes.

build it.

-j

You sir, you win the day. Someone get this man a beer. *slow clap*

Found this at Walmart. Our tenant (who lives above my shop), is going to buy this Friday for $158. Nice retro city bike with 7 speeds.
WP_000992.jpg

Also, I thought these were some cool looking mags on this Mongoose.
WP_000993.jpg

I've checked out that Mongoose, if you look at the headtube there is the letter "m" cut out of the tube and the steer tube is painted white underneath. Very cool alternative to a sticker or one of the cheap Mongoose headbadges.

Toeslider said:
kingfish254 said:
benhiers said:

29bike.jpg

I don't know how easy it is to see, but, top one is spelled incorrectly, bottom one is correct...

onyx.jpg
thinking2.gif
Perhaps, the misspelled ones will become collector’s items some day. :wink:

Back