western flyer made mountain bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found this western flyer and had to pick it up. I had no idea western flyer was around long enough to get into mountain bikes. The forks have gussets that look more like a bmx. I also have never seen a 10 speed mountain bike. Also never seen the stem attach to bars more like a motorcycle would in 2 spots
P1010236_zps87979d1a.jpg
P1010238_zpsdb4fa9f2.jpg

Very nice Western Flyer, I believe 10 speeds is what most of the earlier production mountain bikes had.

I never seen one like that but I have others, if it has a Wald front hub I believe they have a date but I am not sure.

The bike is a 1985 model, and I think it is the first year for Western Flyer Mtn. Bikes. These older mtn. bikes are tough as nails, I don't care what the stuck up types say.

thanks for the input. I did think this had to be early mountain bike, just didn't know for sure. Not too sure just what to do with this one yet

it looks very "lavender" in that first pic. :p good score.

Technically, "Western Flyer" never made anything! But, Western Auto had bikes built for them, with WF badging, into the 90s. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Technically, "Western Flyer" never made anything! But, Western Auto had bikes built for them, with WF badging, into the 90s. -Adam

Actually, 2001 was the final model year for Western Flyers. The Western Flyer name went out similar to how Desoto and Mercury went out. No special anything. 2000 and 2001 went by with no changes, no different option, just two bikes, mens and womens. I can't imagine too mayn were made, though. Considering that by 2001, many Western Auto stores were either converted to PArts Ameria, Advance Auto PArts, or they were simply closed up and awaiting liquidation.

And also, this bike appears to be a re-trimmed and re-badged Huffy Scout. I had a MINT 1987 Huffy Scout that I fixed up and sold and it was very similar to this. Check for an "HC" in the serial number on the headtube.

Cool vintage MTB (could be considered a diamond frame cruiser, too). I dig the old school slingshot stem and BMX forks - are the rims alloy or steel?

old_skool said:
Cool vintage MTB (could be considered a diamond frame cruiser, too). I dig the old school slingshot stem and BMX forks - are the rims alloy or steel?

Chrome steel rims.

the s/n is on the bottom bracket, and is A 660823567. The wheels are steel. I need to clean this one up, and see how it rides

Back