westernfryer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup fryer.

making it into a solid rider. any sugestions on cranks,sprocket.
Photo-0527.jpg

On 26" 1-spds, I generally use a common 46t front, and 17, 18, or 19 rear, depends on terrain and use. Hilly, flat, combination? Local power bursting, hi-speed pavement pounding, long loaded touring? 46-16 cogs will give decent speed, but will have you standing on any hills, or starting off with loaded bags. 46-20 climbs easy and accelerates well, but you'll end up spinning out and coasting going downhill, every geared bike in town will be passing you. You can translate that to other sprocket sizes with gear inch calculation. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html
6 1/2" common cranks fit most people OK, unless you're really short, or have bad joints, then use 6" common on kid's bikes. If you're really tall, or athletically inclined and looking for leverage for taller gearing, 7" from older full size road bikes work, but probably won't fit your frame, but you can use a 3-pc adapter set-up and go metric.
http://www.bikeworldusa.com/index.php/cPath/124_70_80 Happy cycling. 8)

thanks a million. i think ill do the 46 / 16 and 7" cranks. i wana rip. inclines and hill are pretty minor. going with the big sproket in front and if i have to go smaller i'd rather do the small spocket. cheaper. i almost got all the parts. yeeeeeee hawwwww.

Yeah, when I was younger and rode everywhere I went, all the time, I used to run the 16, and/or a larger, older, front. You get there sooner, and it's great fun to ring the bell and sail past a spandexer, when they're spinning on inclines. :mrgreen:

One thing I forgot to mention. If you're doing higher gears on a coaster, avoid the barrel shaped, knurled center Shimanos and new Hystop, they don't handle the added stress very well. :roll: Old disc clutch type hubs are the best, but Mexican Bendix and older Hystop will work.

Great looking headbadge! And a fryer it is! :D What does it say at the top of the badge? "...cooking..."?

sorry for the bad pic. western cooking stores.
oh dude! the retro racer you designed and built is the best bike ever!
Galtbacken said:
Great looking headbadge! And a fryer it is! :D What does it say at the top of the badge? "...cooking..."?

Oh my, thank you so much! :D

Western cooking stores, I like little details like that! Not the first thing you'll notice on the bike, but a cool idea and a well made item!

thanks dudes for the inspiration and parts for westernfryer. rides real sweet. rode 25 miles yesterday for the maiden voyage. i will take good pics when i go to work on monday. i understand the insanity a little bit now.

thanks a lota lot.

DSCI0087.jpg

Back