What bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the very poor quality photo. Most of my bikes are in storage in my mother's house and I only had a few moments to grab a pic. I'll pull it down and get some better shots soon. I'm hoping that someone recognizes the frame and can tell me what it may be.

My mom bought it in Denton, Texas around 1974, so I know that it at least predates that year. It had been spray-painted red when she bought it, so I am guessing that it predates that year by quite a bit. I have taken it down to the metal several times over the years, and it has been reincarnated in several different styles. It's kind of my favorite cruiser, as it's really the bike that got me into this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 170
I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to bike ID's but your frame looks like a Murray manufactured Sear Flightliner, Spaceliner.... series. The long flanges on the rear dropouts and the twin top and middle tubes scream Murray to me. Other members will likely be able to tell you more exacting info.

my friend just recently purchased a Schwinn in London that has a very similar frame? It has the double tubing and very similar rear dropouts...no idea what model it is though.

my friend just recently purchased a Schwinn in London that has a very similar frame? It has the double tubing and very similar rear dropouts...no idea what model it is though.
As others have said, mine is very definitely a Spaceliner. I compared some photos online and there are some mounting points which make a lot more sense now.

The world over, there's a tendency for unscrupulous and/or uninformed sellers to call any old cruiser-type bike a "Schwinn". Post pics of your friend's frame, and we'll ID it.

Back