What is it? Penguin Muscle Bike????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked this up today and thought . . . :shock:

but :?

what is it?

100_0895.jpg

100_0896.jpg

100_0897.jpg

100_0898.jpg

100_0893.jpg

100_0894.jpg

100_0892.jpg

100_0891.jpg

100_0889.jpg

100_0890.jpg

The bike looks original. Although Meteor was usually a name on a more pedestian style bike, in this case, those badges Penguin used the Meteor moniker. From the tires and pedals, I'm guessing a 68 or 69 year bike. Yes, it is made by Murray and badged with one of the many places that sold Murray bikes. What is the serial number please. Should be on the left rear dropout. PM sent. Kenny.

i'll get the serial number in the AM. with limited info i have, i just about pooped when i saw that badge - i went after it like a man on fire. :p

I used to have a Murray Wildcat that was the same color and very similar style. Cool little bikes, and that Penguin badge is awesome! I can't tell from the pics, did someone paint over the fork and all the metal pieces or do they just need a polish?

The Penguin was made by Huffy, and will look like this one below. It does not say Penguin on it. :D

penguin1-4.jpg

penguin4-2.jpg

johnny nightwolf said:
I used to have a Murray Wildcat that was the same color and very similar style. Cool little bikes, and that Penguin badge is awesome! I can't tell from the pics, did someone paint over the fork and all the metal pieces or do they just need a polish?

it's simulated chrome or otherwise known as silver spray paint :roll:

the serial number looks like: M95230X49272855

M = Murray
9 = 1969
5230 = boys Wlidcat frame coaster brake
X49 = Penguin (what ever store sold them)

Does anyone have a clue to the stores name that may have sold bikes with a Penguin headbadge.
Bill, did you find this bike locally? If not, what state did it come out of? Maybe I can do an online search in one of the large newspspers archives. Kenny.

as far as i know it came from iowa. i got it in northwood iowa (near the minesota border) at a little shop. there's a guy who gets bikes from "people" to sell. i asked him where he got it and he said a guy from around there somewhere???? you might try austin, mn or albertlee,mn? he had a 24" girly flightliner in so-so shape w/2speed kickback for $40 but 24 inch and girly - pass

That 24" gily bike sounds like a good parts bike if not too rusty. Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for Murray made bikes. 20" or 24" but prefer the nanner seaters. Boys or girlies. Parts is parts. hahaha Kenny.

Hooch said:
Bill someday you and Louis and the other collectors in Mason City are gonna run out of bikes! lol man you find alot

They're still coming - see freah finds . . . :)

are you sure you're not coming up the 18th :?:

I just bought this bike in Lancaster, PA. The owner at some point changed the front fork to a springer. My kid loves it. Cool looking bike not sure if it has any value other than as a neat bike. Also picked up a Raleigh Fireball and Columbia Playbike.

Back