What is your paint of choice??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to what everyone uses on their rats. I recently painted some parts with Dupli-Color Caliper paint with ceramic and man, I swear they are bullet proof, and almost unscratchable! What are some other good paints to use??

Anything is better through an airbrush. Even lousy .99 a can stuff looks better through a gun or airbrush than $5 paint out of the can.

That being said, I like certain brands for certain things. Lowe's American Tradition has the best classic red, doesn't end up too loud or yellowy, I love the new Lacquer in a rattle can, several companies are doing it now. Lay it on, wet sand,rub it down with rubbing compound, repeat...beautiful. (it sets up super-hard as well)

I also like the little spray cans of Testors model paint through the airbrush. Nice colors.

I also got a bunch of EPA non-approved grafitti caps from Europe, they make really wide, feathered down to a line. Those help in a lot of situations.

Short of buying a gun and auto paint with all the hardeners and activators, airbrush is the way to go. The high heat engine/exhaust paints with ceramic might be a good thing to try also, for durability.

A friend painted his motorcycle carb. with that caliper paint and he said it is the best he's ever used. I tend to use whatever i have lying around, and I paint a lot of junk - for me, the temperature & prep work seems more important than the paint, recently I have found that if I gentle wipe the clean sanded primered frame down with Bereman's Chem Tool stuff it does a super-light degreasing & final clean up and makes the finish coat stick GREAT! I also jab or take a bbgun to all rattle cans when done and save the glass marbles inside, them are cool!

kingplinker said:
I also jab or take a bbgun to all rattle cans when done and save the glass marbles inside, them are cool!
You mean they are'nt steelies in there! :shock: :shock: Guess I'm gonna have to go Gunsmoke on my empty can's this weekend!( high velocity pellet) :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
L8 EM

Well I to tend to use what I have laying around. I have learned that a good prep job is everything in a great paint job! For the keeper bikes I do a PPG Base Clear! but lately I have been using regular rattle can and then hitting it with the same Clear over the PPG Base! My car part supply store now sells the clear in a rattle can :mrgreen: great if you are doing a quick job!

For rattle-can painting, my preference at the moment is for Dominion Sure Seal self etching primer and Krylon Epoxy enamel. Colour choice is limited with the rattle-can epoxy, but they do have flat black! The clear epoxy goes on nicely over the flat colours. Kind of a do-it-yourself base coat/clear coat. There's an autobody supply shop down the street from where I work that will put anything you want (within reason :mrgreen: ) into spray cans. It's a nice option to have, but it can get pricey if you're using a lot of paint.

That Dupli-Color caliper paint with ceramic sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try on my next project.

-Mp

most auto body/paint co will put any paint in cans.its about 6.00 at the place near me+the price of the paint.plus the cans have the good blue nozzles on them[the one you can turn the spraypattern}....... phil

I'm cheap, but don't use Walmart's buck-a-can paint. It will lift if you don't recoat as soon as it flashes or wait at least a week between coats. Rustoleum is my paint of choice. This paintjob was done with rattlecans, and yes, that is metalflake. A pic of my rat rod bike:
batina006.jpg

whatever i have laying around unless i am looking for a speciffic color.

I like Rustoleum spray bombs.

I thought I was the only one to save the glass marbles from the empties.I got a jar full of them.

My wife thinks I'm nutty enough NOW, if I start shooting paint cans with pellet guns and rifles, she'll probably have me COMMITED! :roll:

Back