What Kind Of Rack Is This?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a scrapped early 70s RollFast 3 speed last night The only things worth salvaging was the SA 3 speed hub, both wheels and this strange looking rack on the back of it. I don't know too much about American bikes but I've never seen anything like this on the Canadian side. It measures 9 inches across, a full 4 inches wider then any other rack I have. Two coil springs on either end hold down two arms that pull up in the middle, whatever this rack has in its jaws its not going to let it go, and with the force the arms close it would be painful to have that rack close on your hand. So what is it? Is it a Rollfast product? Some generic after market item? About how old? Thanks for any input...
rattraprack005.jpg

rattraprack003.jpg

i had something like that on a late 30s HP Snyder/Princeton Rollfast type. Also, look for a patent # on it and google a patent # search if you find one.

There's a few other threads on this site from others enquiring about their racks that look similar. I know because I often will post a pic of mine that is similar. A while back I asked similar questions but didn't get much back. Mine also has super strong springs that remind me of a large animal trap but they are more rounded. They are pretty cool looking racks though; very early erector set looking. I just haven't found the right bike for it yet.
MonarkButterflyer004.jpg

Pudge, thanks for posting that picture, it does look very similar to mine, minus the rounded ends and my frame attaching bracket does not have the holes on the sides that yours has. My line of thought considering how large and sturdily built it is it came from some sort of a cycle truck. After I took the pictures I tried it out on my middleweight 1930s Ranger, it looks way out of kilter on the Ranger, much too big.Mine has absolutely no markings on it at all........I figure if worse comes to worse and I get lost in the woods with my Ranger I can use it to snare food :)

Yep, no markings on mine either. Perhaps you could build a theme bike around it: The Fur Trader's Cycle Truck!

I think that rack would lovely on the big ugly CCM I got today. lol

I found out a little info tthis morning from an elderly gent in my neighborhood. He remembered these racks being used on military bicycles, if he remembered correctly he said metal ammunition boxes had fit perfectly on the racks.

oldrider said:
I found out a little info tthis morning from an elderly gent in my neighborhood. He remembered these racks being used on military bicycles, if he remembered correctly he said metal ammunition boxes had fit perfectly on the racks.
The spring loaded wire trappers on my rack are rounded just like the top of an old-school metal lunch box. Mine must have been on an officer's bike! :shock:

i do know that i am on the search for a rack like one of these pictured. or even an old paperboy one - got to be a heavy duty one . cause its not going on a bicycle - want to use one on a motorcycle ( yup my other addiction)

Schwinn used that style of rack, less the spring loaded trappers, on the 1933 B-10E. After that, a generic version came out with the traps and was pretty common in the prewar era. Gary

Back