What the heck is the bolt called?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You know the frame integrated one that holds tension on your chain? I have one missing and one bent :(

2012-12-07%252014.11.20.jpg

2012-08-15%252013.11.28.jpg

"Chainline adjuster" is what I would guess is the most common. It's gonna be hit and miss on ebay searches thats for sure.

May be able to get replacements from Memory Lane Classics in Ohio. They have a web site and take phone orders.

meatwad1 said:
"Chainline adjuster" is what I would guess is the most common. It's gonna be hit and miss on ebay searches thats for sure.

They also could be referred to as chain tensioner bolts. Post up a wanted ad here and include the year and manufacturer of your bike...somebody should be able to hook you up.

If you have a thread pitch gauge to measure the bolts and can provide that info in your ad that will help.

Yeah, memory lane has them for cheap. They're a different style than what you've pictured though. So check ebay with 'chain tensioner' or 'chain adjuster'. Most companies were 24tpi but CWC was 20 and maybe another major company as well. You've a Huffman there? methinks.

I dug through my resources here at the house and thought this info would be good to share.

Cleveland Welding- 1/4"-20 x 2"
Shelby and Schwinn- 1/4"-24 x 1 3/4"
Huffman, Snyder, Rollfast, and Westfield (Columbia). I believe Colson used this size as well.- 7/32"-24 x 2" (Good luck finding threaded rod, I haven't been able to find any!)

udallcustombikes said:
I dug through my resources here at the house and thought this info would be good to share.

Huffman, Snyder, Rollfast, and Westfield (Columbia). I believe Colson used this size as well.- 7/32"-24 x 2" (Good luck finding threaded rod, I haven't been able to find any!)

CRAP! I have a 39 Colson I can't find a tank for (@ a reasonable price), now you're tellin me the chain adjusters are just as rare? :x :mrgreen:

udallcustombikes said:

Thats a keeper! Great info. Thanks Cameron

7/32"-24 x 2" (Good luck finding threaded rod, I haven't been able to find any!)
On my westfield I found at True Value there was what was called I think a drywall or cement expander bolt that was just the right thread pitch and a good length. Must have been that size. I don't know but the guy at the store suggested that the bolt in my hand simply doesn't exist.

Peatbog said:
7/32-24 is an old thread size designation. Now it is known as a #12-24. You can buy that. Here's a foot long piece for 83 cents:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Threaded-Rod-10P570

There are oodles and oodles of screws of many lengths and head styles available in that size also. Somewhere along in the past it was decided to change fractional thread sizes under 1/4" to numbered thread sizes. 7/32" is one of those; under the new thread designation system, it became a #12 thread. Another example is a #10 screw. That screw thread size used to be known as a 3/16" thread.

images
images
1153859_300.jpg

Good info there. thanks.

It is likely 1/4 x 24. Dropout screws of the 1/4" variety are found in 20, 24, and 28 tpi. 24 is difficult to find in a hardware store. I've even been told by the manager at fastenal that they don't exist. Even though I had one in my hand. Luckily yours utilizes a nut instead of a threaded hole in the dropout. I had a square nut around, took it to Lowes hardware, got the correct screw. Then I ground the head to look original and ground a taper into the tip. Pretty easy. Mine had threads in the dropout which the original screw broke off in. So I drilled it out and used the nut instead. The first pic is the correct side with no nut, second is the one I rigged.
SANY0830.jpg

SANY0831.jpg

pick said:
udallcustombikes said:

CRAP! I have a 39 Colson I can't find a tank for (@ a reasonable price), now you're tellin me the chain adjusters are just as rare? :x :mrgreen:
Not too rare. I bought a set for my 37 Colson on ebay for $9.99 + shipping. But they don't pop up as often as the others.

Jpromo said:
Yeah, memory lane has them for cheap. They're a different style than what you've pictured though. So check ebay with 'chain tensioner' or 'chain adjuster'. Most companies were 24tpi but CWC was 20 and maybe another major company as well. You've a Huffman there? methinks.

Yes, Huffman built Western Flyer, I'm not seeing them on Memory Lane though :(

They have a print catalog and you can call. They are very knowledgable and probably tell you over the phone if they have the part you need
Chain Adjusting Screws on page 46, list brand wanted.
419-932-3040

Back