What to do with old tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering if these are only good for wall hangings....
Or would people actually ride on these or put them on their bikes for the 'patina' look :)

IMG_0473.jpg

Put them back on the Schwinn Sidewinder. (I assume those are Schwinnn gumwall Studded Balloon).

I have seen belts made from road bike tires.

It definitely depends on the tire and if the cracks are superficial or structurally detrimental. I generally ride most tires; even questionable ones (though, not on far treks). Gumwalls like you've got there definitely don't hold up as well as a blackwall. They tend to dry up and look real nasty before their time but the rubber underneath may still be strong and rideable. Examine it up close, also on the inside of the tire for splits, and use your own judgement.

I'm getting new tires...:) These really don't look safe to me. I'll probably give them to my brother for wall art for his 'cabin' in the woods.

They came off my 58 Hornet Deluxe...don't think they were 'stock' tires...26x2.25 they say Carlisle made in the USA.

I figured for sure someone would want to run these on their bike...:) I prefer gasoline for my fire starter of choice.

Back