What Would You Do.?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have this problem.. I bought this BMX Dyno 20" frame for dirt cheap. Then I realized why it was so cheap when I got it home.. The guy cut the seat post flush to the frame.. D.A.!!!
Anyone have any ideas how to take the rest of the seat post out.? I would greatly appreciate it..

Do not get a big easy out and break it! I will charge $50 to remove the broken tool! Then the post is still there!
I like the hack saw idea.....

Awesome, so it's a 1" post with a 7/8" inner? Get a banger quill stem. Put some banger bars in the stem. Insert the stem into the post, tighten it down, and use your superhuman gorilla strength to twist/pull the post out. The bars will provide leverage. Do not try this with any bars/stems that you care about; they may well be destroyed.

It looks like there's a hacksaw cut on the old stem already, maybe they gave up. I wrap a cloth or use a heavy glove when using a hacksaw blade, it's a lot of work.
If they cut the post and frame down to the top tube, then the problem will be tightening the replacement seat stem. Is there room above the top tube for a collar to tighten the stem? If not, you could have the new stem tack welded in place, or customize the stem to tighten up like the old AMF stems, like a handlebar stem. You would have to find a bolt and wedge from a handlebar stem, then cut the new seat stem to have the wedge slide up and tighten. Then you could adjust it.
2e4zo0x.jpg

Awesome, so it's a 1" post with a 7/8" inner? Get a banger quill stem. Put some banger bars in the stem. Insert the stem into the post, tighten it down, and use your superhuman gorilla strength to twist/pull the post out. The bars will provide leverage. Do not try this with any bars/stems that you care about; they may well be destroyed.[/quote
Ok.. So what does a banger quill look like.? Sorry
I might have one and not know that I have it.. lol

Also I've been checking to see how much of the seat tube is left in the frame and if I where to do the hacksaw idea I won't be able to reach all the way down cuz the seat post is more then half way deep into the frame.. I have know idea what this person was thinking.!!!

It looks like there's a hacksaw cut on the old stem already, maybe they gave up. I wrap a cloth or use a heavy glove when using a hacksaw blade, it's a lot of work.
If they cut the post and frame down to the top tube, then the problem will be tightening the replacement seat stem. Is there room above the top tube for a collar to tighten the stem? If not, you could have the new stem tack welded in place, or customize the stem to tighten up like the old AMF stems, like a handlebar stem. You would have to find a bolt and wedge from a handlebar stem, then cut the new seat stem to have the wedge slide up and tighten. Then you could adjust it.
2e4zo0x.jpg
There's enough tubing for a seat post clamp also I like the idea of the stem wedge like you have pictured...

By "banger stem", I meant like a worthless POS stem, as in "I don't mind if break this stem while using it as a tool, b/c it's just an old banger...."

But, I'm thinking that your seatpost is a 7/8" outer dimension, so the inner dimension ("ID") will be too narrow for my idea. I checked, and most Dyno BMX frames took a7/8" post....

By "banger stem", I meant like a worthless POS stem, as in "I don't mind if break this stem while using it as a tool, b/c it's just an old banger...."

But, I'm thinking that your seatpost is a 7/8" outer dimension, so the inner dimension ("ID") will be too narrow for my idea. I checked, and most Dyno BMX frames took a7/8" post....
Thanks for the feedback on the "Banger Stem" defenition.. Yeah I was thinking about the dementions on the ID on the seat post also.. Unless if I get the correct ID tubing that would fit inside the seat post and create a wedge and bolt set to fit. and maybe weld a larger bolt head on top to get a closed socket and attach a breaker bar. Then spray some PB Blast lube and little by little twist and turn to loosen the seat post out.. Maybe heat it up with a torch.. I wish there was a way to thank the D.A. that cut this seat post up.!!! URRGGG.!!!
Thanks for everyone's Ideas and help to solve this delima...

I'll bet it was stuck in there and the previous owner tried everything to get it loose to no avail. I would take it be a bike shop or a welding shop to see if they had any way to get it out. Maybe cut a hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket and hammer a steel rod on the bottom of the seat post.

Back