Where do you buy new tires for flip bikes? (cruiser 26 x2.125)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've got several ladies beach cruiser bikes I am going to try and flip to raise some cash with springtime coming hopefully I can find a few folks that will think they are cool to have...but seriously two tires at $32 plus shipping is more than the original purchase price on these bikes.....
I'd like to offer them up with new tires, as I don't have any useable used ones anyhow..
I see guys selling lots of 6 tires on Ebay for $59, then the pairs for tires for around $30 with tubes, any hot deals out there I am missing? I don't want tires that will blow up in a week, but really high quality might not be practical either. Most likely a basic blackwall with fairly smooth tread will be fine.

The bikes are some late 50's early 60's up to 80's model Cruisers.....and will hopefully sell for anywhere from $50 to $150 in the Austin area, I hope. I try to pick up NOS or closeout tires as much as I can find in the goodwill stores but I don't have quite enough for this fleet.

Junky sells Duro brand I think. They are good and relatively inexpensive. Maybe not as inexpensive as OP would like. I'd suggest searching for Chen Sing tires. Really inexpensive, ride nice, look decent on vintage bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niagara cycle works online sells tires cheap. Shipping is pricey unless you buy in bulk. Free shipping on over $100. They are a little slow on the shipping but the prices are right.

Sometimes sporting goods stores have them cheap, cheaper than Walmart even. Around here Dunhams has the best prices on tires you can just go and buy. More often than not, you can go buy one tire and get a 20% off coupon for a purchase the next day, which would be the other tire. They're usually around $10, so $18 for a pair.

My local Performance Bikes store usually has some type of tire on sale around $10 or so, plus they occasionally blow out singles or slightly used tires for $5 a piece. I just bought 3 pairs, two pairs were new but they just weren't going to carry them any more.

Sometimes your best bet is a thrift store bike. I just bought one with like new tires for $12.99.

All good suggestions... (Undecider, I'm not actually in Austin but am having a friend who works there bring the bikes to sell....I'm up by Abilene..)

Mam, a Pacific Outlet store?? That would be too dangerous for a guy like me to enter...

I have had the best luck with Amazon.com
Getting sunlite tires at about $10.00 each...
Flip bikes pricing should reflect new tires, do not give tires away! Tired of people expecting to get paid for taking your bike. LET THEM WALK!

Niagara cycle works online sells tires cheap. Shipping is pricey unless you buy in bulk. Free shipping on over $100. They are a little slow on the shipping but the prices are right.
I buy tires through Amazon and use Niagara as the seller whenever possible. Never had any issues and the shipping time was reasonable.

As mikee said, we gotta stand our ground on bike prices. I can't even sell a 47 year old Schwinn that I've serviced every bearing on and put new tires on for $65. I get offers for $30, which barely covers the new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what ya mean on the prices... and I'll do my best to point out their true value when I advertise them in the local Craigs.. My potential market is either college students with money to burn or someone wanting a vintage ride with quality. If someone wants to offer $30 for a bike that blows away the $149 Chinese wallyworld bikes, they will be politely counteroffered perhaps just a seat for that price.

Performance Bike sells a line of products called "Forte". They're budget oriented, but I find they're pretty good quality. They usually have 26x1.5 slicks selling for between $10 and $20.
Right now they're selling for $12.99
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1070102_-1_400237__400237
For $15.99 you can get kevlar belted, a little narrower though.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_1070099_-1

I've probably ridden about 2000 miles on a pair of these. They rode well and seemed to hold up fine. I prefer 26x2.35 Big Apples, both for looks and for comfort, but those aren't budget oriented.

Got a real surprise when I picked up a 24" Taiwan "Schwinn" 10 speed to flip that needed new tires. The thing actually had S6 rims. What!, I thought they were only on the old Chicagos! $40 later and 3 weeks LBS trying to order the correct size, I barely got my money back. But to answer your question, when you see cheap tires at a swap, or have a chance to grab a free bike off the curb, grab them.

I cannot help but suspect that y'all would be better off just listing "needs new tires" in the ad. The last thing many prospective buyers will want to do is reimburse you for the cheapest-possible tires at full retail.

Back