Where have the "Old Bikes" gone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple weeks ago, I talked to a guy at work who says his dad has a ton of "them old bicycles you like" in his barn. He wouldn't give directions. urrrrrrr...

bigredddaddy said:
A couple weeks ago, I talked to a guy at work who says his dad has a ton of "them old bicycles you like" in his barn. He wouldn't give directions. urrrrrrr...
...go undercover and follow him.... :mrgreen:

...go undercover and follow him....

All of a sudden I got the mission impossble theme song stuck in my head......Dum dum dum da da ddaaaaa dododooo,dododooo, dum dum dum, dum, ddaaaa!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

NOS bikes, kind of related

I was surfing the web and read an article on urbanvelo.org about the end of Faber's Cyclery in San Jose, CA. Here's a nice paragraph:
Few know what was really hidden inside those walls. When I ventured in the garage out back, there was a row of perfect condition, spit shined NOS cruisers from the heyday of fenders and chrome. I’d never seen one in such condition, and here was a half dozen – with unopened boxes behind. Gone into private collections, individual’s hands and surely some to scrap. Another legend born.
Hugo

I try to do my part to "share the wealth" and pass along stuff for what I paid, or less, just to get it out there. I have plenty of bikes to ride and a list of what I would really like to have, I work toward those and grab random inspiration along the way.

It's important to rescue them though, if nobody knows anyone wants them, they end up in an ARC furnace.

I find one of the best sources are garage sales in older neighborhoods. Ask people if they have any old bikes, even if you don't see 'em out.

Are you sitting down??

rusty6JPG.jpg

stingraygarage1JPG.jpg

roger8.jpg

roger4.jpg

roger2-1.jpg

jonsgarg4.jpg

jonsgarg3.jpg

jonsgarg2.jpg

jonsgarg.jpg

oh wow...I think I just pooped myself. :oops:

Is that really your garage/shed/warehouse? If it is, I am definitely stopping by on way through KC...or at least on the way back to CO. I may end up bringing back some bikes for some fellers here in Denver. Good old bikes are hard to find here without paying a mint. Sometimes you can find a deal on the CL, but it's a random find at best.

Here is my shopping list.
Straight bar frame that'll fit some 24 x 3's (with or without a tank)
truss rods
fat fenders
one of the star chainrings from a Western flyer
old light

"gulp"
will you be my friend?

jeff

Oh, no. That's not my stuff. Wow, no. I have but a few lowly bikes, I just wanted to share those photos. More like it on bicyclechronicles.com, look under "miscelaneous". There are hundreds more that will cause you to ask "what gets vomit, blood and tears out of a keyboard?"

Man them pictures were so Cool... that gave me a good feeling seeing all them bikes. Wouldn't you just love to find an abandoned barn full of bicycles like that?

Back