Which hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm building up a Ruff Cycles Dean and I want a geared hub. Will a 3 speed suffice or do I need a 7 or 8? I'm guessing this bike will weigh 40-50lbs when built so I want to make sure I have enough gear to pedal this thing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current ride is an old Good Vibrations single speed. I live in a fairly hilly area. I have to stand up to overcome most hills around here.

I'd personally go for a 3 speed and gear it close to the lowest ratio that the manufacturer suggests (typically 2:1), which is low on it's own, with an even lower granny and an overdrive....

That being said you might benefit from the slightly wider spread in range, but the smaller steps between ears, IMO, aren't important for a cruising bike. However, the cheapest disc 8speed hubs are going to run in the neighborhood of $250 (The Sturmey-Archer 8 speed costs less, but I geared w/ direct drive plus7 overdrives, so it's not a good choice for 26" wheels unless you run a tiny front sprocket), whereas the Sturmey sk3 three speed disc goes for $85 AND th Shimano Nexus Inter-3 disc goes for @ $105, so you save a lot and will still have somewhere around 177% range, which will give you ratios in @40", 52", and 70" gear-inches (running a 44/22t combo).

My option would be a nexus 8, it's a good hub, and it has a low resistance with a good range, its not cheap but it looks clean and is really reliable.
And i believe the range is 208% but i'm not sure about that;)

Frank

Customize!

I ride street, trail, and sidewalks with a Sturmey 3 awc. Plenty of range.

Last edited:
Ok. So on the Dean frame, what length crank arms am I going to need? I'm going to run 26x3 tires.

I try to match the crankarms' length to the frame and the rider. For my own bikes, I tend to go as long as I can without sacrificing cornering and without putting my knees thru my chest on the upswing. Most of my bikes run 175s or 180s, but I may be proportioned differently than you are, and none of my bikes have geo anywhere near a Dean. If you have patience and some spare cranks, i'd suggest doing some mock-ups once you receive the crank and then decide from there...

Prolly can't go too long; that frame's BB shell sits rather low, relative to the axles....

Ok I managed to score a deal on a brand new prebuilt rear with a 3 speed nexus for $150. I bought a 3 piece bb/crank with 170mm arms. Going to attempt to install the bob myself tomorrow after I pick up the frame. Any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, make sure you use the anti rotation washer(s)(yellow w/tab). Also a brakeband that immobilize the brake arm, it cannot move, even under extreme pressure, which will be generated while stoping.

Ok. Here she is mocked up. Think the crank arms are too long.

dahy9a3u.jpg

Last edited:
Back