white wall care

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
anyone got a clue how to keep white walls from cracking and getting dry rot? my tires are garbage after 6 mos they look 7 years old and i nevr go offroad or anything. tired of having ugly ww on my bikes. any ideas or products would be nice.

I used to use Armoural (sp?) on motorcycle rubber product with satisfaction. I dont know if it will stop, or slow the degradation of bicycle tires, but in your case I would look into it.

The leading cause of sidewall cracking is under inflation . Bike tires need to be aired up frequently. Bleach products clean well but draw out the oils in the rubber which contribute to surface cracks,also removes uv protection. Steel wool based cleaning pads,or brass brushes leave scratches that collect dirt. Mr Clean Magic Eraser works. Avoid silicone products,they will discolor. Some products can cause rim brakes to squeak.

deorman i dont like black walls if i ran them i wouldnt be asking but thanx for the advice. i love white walls and want to make them last longer
:D

Salutations! Here is my to cents worth. I have found out that my cheaper white walls are more temperature sensitive than my more expensive "name brand" white walls. I have a pair that stay in the basement on a finished bike and I have the same tires on a bike that I keep in the shed. Both are about the same age, have the same mileage, but the one in the shed looks like it is about five years older then the one inside. You did not say where you were keeping the bike, so I don't know. Just offering an opinion based on an observation. Good luck.

my whites are kept under a tarp and used religiously. they dont see much weather. im trying to find like a tire moisturizer cuz my tires always end up scaley and gross after a few mos. i was thinking thin layer of vasoline every 2 mos or so as a protector.

thats not a bad idea i think i will call coker. thanx!

I use bees wax on all my tyre sidewalls. that way they are easy to clean even if they get dirty, you simply clean off the dirty wax and re-apply with fresh one.
But I had sidewalls cracking after only weeks lately, too, even when not using the bike at all. I think it's the quality (or rather, the lack thereof) of far eastern el cheapo tyre rubber. Buy a good brand tyre to begin with.

I use Comet cleanser, water and a medium-stiff brush. The same can i was using for my car tires 15 years ago before I finally flipped them around.

I normally use dollar store tire shine. A bottle lasts forever. Just LET IT DRY before a ride or dirt will cling to the tires like mad.

Back