why no Paypal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Western Union ??? They are mentioned in every money scam there is, I for one would NEVER buy from a company that only took Western Union.

KZ1000 said:
Western Union ??? They are mentioned in every money scam there is, I for one would NEVER buy from a company that only took Western Union.
The scams which occur over Western Union are 'social engineering' scams, and not due to faults within the security of the actual transaction itself.

From a merchant's standpoint, Western Union is the most secure + widely-available form of payment there is.

I don't remember why I opted out of paypal a few years ago. I'll give them another try, but there may have been something that asked for too much personal info. I've had to pass on a few things because they were paypal only.

PayPal protects the Buyer. Not the seller. I shipped items to Australia. Then they put in a claim saying they never got the items. Even shows delivered. PayPal gave the buyer the money back. PayPal never really asked me much.
Then PayPal now does a 1099 to you and reports to IRS when you do total transactions that are 10,000.00 per year.
Thats enough reasons to avoid paypal right there.

honestherman said:
PayPal protects the Buyer. Not the seller. I shipped items to Australia. Then they put in a claim saying they never got the items. Even shows delivered. PayPal gave the buyer the money back. PayPal never really asked me much. ....
Yep. They did not claim a lost package with the shipper, because the shipper would have showed it delivered. But they can revoke payment through PayPal, after they have the item.
And they can revoke payment on a credit card, by contesting the charges.

The reason that scammers always want YOU to send THEM money by Western Union is because you have to pay your local Western Union in cash or some cash-equivalent method (WU makes certain that they do not get ripped off!) and then you cannot get that money back out, no matter what. WU won't reverse a payment for any reason. The ONLY person who can withdraw it from WU (or 'return' it to you) is the person it was sent to.

From a merchant's standpoint, that's exactly what you want. You can't have people withdrawing payment after you've shipped them stuff.
From a customer's standpoint, that's maybe not very confidence-inspiring. But if the merchant has an established reputation, that helps somewhat. And if the merchant is the ONLY source of a particular item, it's not like customers would have much choice.

Western Union's main income is sending money into and out of dirt-poor countries; their security is rock-solid. It has to be.
The way people get ripped off "by Western Union" is not WU at all--it is because they believe the emails that say "you have won twelve million dollars in the Uruguayan lottery, but you must pay a transfer fee of $2000 before we can transfer it".

B607 said:
Paypal, money orders, all okay. Heck, I'll send you cash if you want. :p Gary

I'm with you on this, heck I'll trade food for bike parts!

honestherman said:
Then PayPal now does a 1099 to you and reports to IRS when you do total transactions that are 10,000.00 per year.

Not to sound like a jerk here or start a firestorm of debate, but if you're making more than 10K a year through online auctions/sales, as an honest American, you should pay income tax on it. After all, at that rate, it's a business. Why should that money be exempt? Just because it comes from individual sales instead of an employer is irrelevant. If you look at the minimum IRS requirements, if you're under 65, eBay is actually giving you a $500 grace.

From efile.com http://www.efile.com/tax/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return/
Minimum Income Requirements to File a Federal Income Tax Return
The minimum income required to file or efile a tax return for Tax Year 2012 depends on your income, age, and filing status. The minimum income levels for the various filing statuses are listed in the table below. If you earned below the minimum income for your filing status, you may not be required to file a Federal Tax Return. However, there are reasons why you may still want to file.

Filing Status Age Minimum Income Requirement
Single Under 65 $9,500
65 or older $10,950
Head of Household Under 65 $12,200
65 or older $13,650
Married Filing Jointly Under 65 (both spouses) $19,000
65 or older (one spouse) $20,150
65 or older (both spouses) $21,300
Married Filing Separately Any age $3,700
Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Children Under 65 $15,300
65 or older $16,450

As the saying goes, the two things you can't avoid are death and taxes.

I'll climb back off my soap box now and go check the auctions I'm currently watching.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Uncle Stretch said:
DR T...I will gladly give you a bike frame tomorrow ,for a hamburger today. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very funny. I think you have the best post of the month.

DougC said:
honestherman said:
PayPal protects the Buyer. Not the seller. I shipped items to Australia. Then they put in a claim saying they never got the items. Even shows delivered. PayPal gave the buyer the money back. PayPal never really asked me much. ....
Yep. They did not claim a lost package with the shipper, because the shipper would have showed it delivered. But they can revoke payment through PayPal, after they have the item.
And they can revoke payment on a credit card, by contesting the charges.

The reason that scammers always want YOU to send THEM money by Western Union is because you have to pay your local Western Union in cash or some cash-equivalent method (WU makes certain that they do not get ripped off!) and then you cannot get that money back out, no matter what. WU won't reverse a payment for any reason. The ONLY person who can withdraw it from WU (or 'return' it to you) is the person it was sent to.

From a merchant's standpoint, that's exactly what you want. You can't have people withdrawing payment after you've shipped them stuff.
From a customer's standpoint, that's maybe not very confidence-inspiring. But if the merchant has an established reputation, that helps somewhat. And if the merchant is the ONLY source of a particular item, it's not like customers would have much choice.

Western Union's main income is sending money into and out of dirt-poor countries; their security is rock-solid. It has to be.
The way people get ripped off "by Western Union" is not WU at all--it is because they believe the emails that say "you have won twelve million dollars in the Uruguayan lottery, but you must pay a transfer fee of $2000 before we can transfer it".

This is all well and good, but I agree with KZ1000. WU is secure and legit, but the very fact that a business would say WU ONLY, would raise a flag for me, and I would not buy from them. I just recently discovered a tiny company in Canada called OOQI. They make large, soft handgrips for bikes in various fun colors. They're a bit pricy, but I went ahead and bought a pair of red ones, because they looked interesting, it's a small company that I can support, and they accepted Paypal. Had they said Western Union only, there's no way I would have paid near $30 for a pair of grips from a company I'd never heard of. That's just the reality.

This is becoming a good topic. As far as western union goes I had a friend several years ago that was selling a car on Craigslist and had someone send them a western union certified money order or bank draft whatever they call it. His bank cashed it dispite my friend informing them that it was from a craigslist deal and he was sceptical. Then the bank called a few days later saying that it was a fake and if the money was not returned in 24 hours they were pressing charges of fraud on my friend! Luckily he had not shipped the car off and was able to get the money together or he'd be in jail.

bike2112 said:
this is a great thread, but I hope no one with the IRS is reading it. LOL. Anyone gotten any strange PM's?
Lol well I'm still good if they are, I only make about $3,000 in the summer and maybe $500 in the winter each year.

(The rest goes on bikes)

outskirtscustoms said:
This is becoming a good topic. As far as western union goes I had a friend several years ago that was selling a car on Craigslist and had someone send them a western union certified money order or bank draft whatever they call it. ...
If it was a Western Union money order, then he should have gone to a Western Union to cash it or verify it. They can check instantly and tell if its fake or not.
And if it was good and the buyer had taken the car, there would be no way for the buyer to later "revoke" the money they transferred--like they can with paypal or a credit card.

A bank draft can be as fake as any other check, unless you got it from the bank yourself. Might as well take IOUs if you're going that route.

DougC said:
outskirtscustoms said:
This is becoming a good topic. As far as western union goes I had a friend several years ago that was selling a car on Craigslist and had someone send them a western union certified money order or bank draft whatever they call it. ...
If it was a Western Union money order, then he should have gone to a Western Union to cash it or verify it. They can check instantly and tell if its fake or not.
And if it was good and the buyer had taken the car, there would be no way for the buyer to later "revoke" the money they transferred--like they can with paypal or a credit card.

A bank draft can be as fake as any other check, unless you got it from the bank yourself. Might as well take IOUs if you're going that route.

Yeah, I would have known it was a scam from the first email. He didn't know any better. That's why any deals on Craigslist I do CASH in person or they just don't get it.

Cash & MO is payment everyone can use so it is supposed to be accepted everywhere as well as WU because buying & selling is supposed to be fair to everyone not some people who think I'm special since I have a credit card and Paypal so I will only pay or except those forms of payment from others like me.

You as a seller has the right to refuse a buyer but only within reason and form of payment just because I don't have over $1000 to afford such things like credit cards is not it unless it's over a certain amount which maybe should be a rule like anything that is local pick up is cash only of course then anything under $800 not including shipping price should at least accept MO then anything $900 & over you can be picky about the form you like.

Peter White Cycles has a page with their ordering instructions. He has no online ordering, and likely doesn't intend to. The page has been the same for a number of years now, but for a couple small addendums.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ordering.htm
He does take CC orders from most countries, and takes US Post Office MO's but not Western Union money orders (probably because he just doesn't want to drive to a Western Union, and without doing that, they are not secure). Note that from the two worst scam countries--Indonesia and Nigeria--he will only accept Western Union transfers. That's because that is the only payment method that they haven't figured out how to scam yet.

The page on scams is a somewhat-interesting read also-
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/scams.htm

Peter White sells higher-end non-racing bikes & accessories. The Silk Road model may not look like much, but it is one of the highest-rated touring frames of all.

I've used paypal for years on ebay. I've stopped using ebay recently because since I was a new seller on there they would hold my money for months after I sold the item. Money that I was supposed to be using to ship them out. The only way to get that money sooner was to buy their shipping labels.. but I have no printer here. I've had no problem with Paypal by itself though. Like when Black Crown Tattoo bought a set of wheels from me that turned out not to be schwinn S2's. It was easier for me to just email him and send the refund than it would've been had it been a money order. Also with paypal I don't have to worry about my money order getting lost in the mail. Less trouble.

Peatbog, u r correct. I hate to pay as a gift, at least to people I dont know. They are too cheap to pay the 2%...and can screw me. Yea...it bugs me!

also i dont want anyone to confuse what i said about electronics not being safe to trust your life on and an apocalypse...Im not a 2012 disaster believer at all i just know not to many people think about "what if" cause its very possible(not apocalypse but electronic crash)!! protect your income and investments!

Back