Why Skiptooth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was standing around my bikes with a couple of guys. We got to talking about the chains when one of them asked... "Why did the older bikes have the wide gear tooth spacing". I couldn't answer why, just that the old bikes had "skiptooths".

Why were there 1" pitch chains/sprockets? After WW2 they went to 1/8" then finally to 3/32" for modern multi-gears. I understand the latter was to accommodate the many sprockets... making the chain narrower.

Was the skiptooth as we know it just the way things were, then someone designed the next version of chains, and why, or was the "original" design for a reason? More torque, less friction, more reliable?

Originally they didn't know how to make a hollow inner link so it was solid hence the reason for the skipped tooth. Later as dies became available they started to produce the more modern chains in the same spacing so they would match up and eventually changed to what we see today.

is it better no probably not it is just how it was i guess. however in the modern age i like it for the same reason car guys like flat head ford v8 engines. they have a look and sound all their own

Back