wierd chain problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello everyone,
As was trying to shorten a chain i bought today to put on my bike but the problem is if I shorten it just right the chain wont have the both sides the same and i don't that should happen. Hopefully the pictures will explain what I'm trying to. lol
IMG_2372.jpg

this is how normally it is when i'm connecting a chain
IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

And this is what it will will be if i shorten it for the bike(ingnore the little slug pin at the top of this one)
IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

if I do it this way would the chain break?

lol, you need to pop that last link out(last pic) i would put it together with the master link going through both rollers on both sides. It might work, but, why chance it. I would hatefor you to be busting up hill and POP! Will it work with 1 less link?

66olds98 said:
lol, you need to pop that pin out(last pic) i would put it together with the master link going through both rollers on both sides. It might, work, but, why chance it. I would hat efor you to be busting up hill and POP! Will it work with 1 less link?
If I remove that other part to the roller the chain will be too short.

chimichanga said:
Hello everyone,
As was trying to shorten a chain i bought today to put on my bike but the problem is if I shorten it just right the chain wont have the both sides the same and i don't that should happen. Hopefully the pictures will explain what I'm trying to. lol

And this is what it will will be if i shorten it for the bike(ingnore the little slug pin at the top of this one)
IMG_2369.jpg

if I do it this way would the chain break?

just assemble the chain without the removable link. repush the slug pin in...

Back