WifeyBike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When I came up on a Lawwill leader fork in a Portland bike co-op for just $70.00, I couldn't very well pass it up - especially when I have a Diamondback Della Cruz with a 1-1/8" steer tube waiting. An hour or two of trimming, grinding and swearing (the steerer tube on the fork was extra-short, requiring me to chop a bit off the head tube height), I think that I've come up with a great solution for that street/trail cruiser my wife has been wanting:
delawwill00.jpg

The wheels are just stand-ins, as are the cranks. This thing will get street gears with a 44T front sprocket and probably a 20T out back.
delawwill01.jpg

There's probably 1/2" left that I could trim from the head tube and still have a bike that turns. I might need to, as the stem is well above the top of the steerer tube.
delawwill02.jpg

I'm going to come up with some new wheels and street tires... maybe wrap those bars with leather or rope, since the ol' lady is into leatherwork and knot-tying, among other crafty pursuits.

Re: De Lawwill Cruz - bike for my wife.

Changed the cranks and wheels... flipped the bars around because my wife wants a more upright riding position. Maybe I'll swap out to a set of cruiser bars if she doesn't like these.
delawwill03.jpg

niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee! i like the fork, nice work!

delawwill04.jpg

Sometimes, you just have to go with a classic - this thing feels awesome to ride with these ol' cruiser bars in place.

Wifeybike update:7/3/10

delawwill07.jpg

New set of Schwalbes, a woody Sunline rack, and an old Odyssey brake brace make this just about finished.
delawwill05.jpg

delawwill06.jpg

Sometime after the Build-Off is over, I'll blow it apart and paint it sage green metallic to match the shock on the fork.

I went back to buy that fork, shortly after going home to measure the head tube on a project frame, and it was just sold... glad it went to someone here. It's friggin' awesome. If you'd have strolled in an hour later, it would have been gone!

Back