Wild Bill-DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new bike I'm building for my father in law. I'm calling it wild Bill after him.
e9b76ac5.jpg

Re: Wild Bill

that is gonna look sweet! can't wait to see it painted ... you plan to redo the original paintjob or a custom ? just curious :)

Re: Wild Bill

tvc15 said:
OneHorsePower said:
that is gonna look sweet! can't wait to see it painted ... you plan to redo the original paintjob or a custom ? just curious :)
It will probably be similar graphics but gloss on matte with matte silver

What would matte silver look like? Not trying to be an ..., but isn't matte silver just grey?

Re: Wild Bill- back in the saddle

I've been on hiatus for a bit, I have been obsessed with making a good beer, I finally started making some good ones... so I'm back in the saddle again.

When I bought the bike the chain stays they were pretty damaged and is was missing the bridge between them.

I had the bike sand blasted and covered it in etching primer and hammered out the dents and dings in the tank and chain guard. I also filled the surface with Evercoat body filler (like bondo only 1,000,000 easier to sand).
IMG_1138_zpsca052470.jpg

This was my first attempt brazing, I used nickel/silver to fill the holes, deep dents and add the bridge. I did a pretty ...... job but it did the trick
057ee933-6716-459e-89b6-ac733036e35b_zps528849ab.jpg

I also filled all of the joints and gussets to that everything will be dialed in and smooth
a04314c0-eef5-4d7d-a9be-450b5ad27c47_zpsd7eeceb4.jpg
\

Next super happy fun hand sanding!

Re: Wild Bill- back in the saddle

I like to get the entire surface of the bike clean and smooth. I spent a lot of time hiding all the welds and manufacturing marks. I'm on my third round of sanding, primering and filling. The frame is looking really nice and is now smooth as a babies butt. One last round of primer and we are on to doing the same to the fork and fenders.

0011D1E3-389B-4495-9249-6DDE5D8A9488-755-0000005BC6F970DF_zpsd91c8df9.jpg

B3AE0E98-FE72-408B-B79B-00AFB44E79A0-755-0000005BC4B81AED_zps1b3cc03b.jpg

E9534A56-3D74-4E3B-9688-4173FC0F9236-755-0000005BD10A5DD2_zpsf9f266c2.jpg

AE067D3F-97A1-4EEA-A964-6235DAE52436-755-0000005ECD2F4353_zps15ddefd2.jpg

Re: Wild Bill- sand, fill, repeat

easy sanding filler usually doesn't hold up well to flexy areas. I would have done the first coat in something like duraglass. Just my experienced opinion. Hope im wrong, seeing how much work you put into it. Maybe assemble it, ride it, and make sure ya don't have cracks, before ya throw a paintjob to it?

Voyager Al said:
easy sanding filler usually doesn't hold up well to flexy areas. I would have done the first coat in something like duraglass. Just my experienced opinion. Hope im wrong, seeing how much work you put into it. Maybe assemble it, ride it, and make sure ya don't have cracks, before ya throw a paintjob to it?

No disrespect but...
I don't slather filler on I'm not doing deep fills so I'm not sure what the point is. I have been using Evercoat for this type of fill for two decades now, never had a crack yet... vintage cars, canoes or bikes...I'd look into the duraglass option again though if i was doing big fills over 3/16" deep or I was seeing problems with my work... also not sure 30 hours is what I'd call "easy sandinging" :lol:

Also Evercoat ain't no Bondo... you should give it a spin, you might like it. Now watch... Karma will jump out and bite me in the ... with a bunch of cracks!

It looks similar to glazing compound, which I use as an easier alternative to 2-part fillers, easier to use and to sand. I've never had problems with it either.

so regular bondo would not hold well ?
iam prepping my frame and have some laying around

IF it is ground well, it will. Not as well as the fillers with a higher resin formula, less talc. Like duraglass. Im not gonna get into a wizzing contest here, but having been a bodyman for 12 years, and worked in a fiberglass factory for 7,and continued to paint cars for years, I KNOW that most people don't PREP the metals correctly. OR mix properly. The hi-talc, low weight fillers are junk. JMHO. Glazing puttys are NOT meant to be used for filling , but are to be used to fill sand scratches. ONLY!! Even the catalized glazing putty.... Again, just my experienced opinion.Nothing else. Fill with what works for ya. Hope it holds up.

Voyager Al said:
IF it is ground well, it will. Not as well as the fillers with a higher resin formula, less talc. Like duraglass. Im not gonna get into a wizzing contest here, but having been a bodyman for 12 years, and worked in a fiberglass factory for 7,and continued to paint cars for years, I KNOW that most people don't PREP the metals correctly. OR mix properly. The hi-talc, low weight fillers are junk. JMHO. Glazing puttys are NOT meant to be used for filling , but are to be used to fill sand scratches. ONLY!! Even the catalized glazing putty.... Again, just my experienced opinion.Nothing else. Fill with what works for ya. Hope it holds up.
haha , ok thanks , but idon't want to hope , i want to be sure :wink: ill check for a better alternative
(Sorry for thread interruption)

So I have been using evercoat filler for about 20 years, never had a crack, never had a problem... I'm also an industrial designer and I make product prototypes and use it for those as well. That said here is the progress with the fill and sand...

Painted the bike and applied vinyl graphics that I created to match the original design

Started final assembly today, I'm liking to simple lines...

Back