Wire Wheel Frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, I`ve noticed several guys mentioning using a wire wheel brush to strip frames. Seems like it`d a great way to get in to the tough spots around the BB shell, etc.... but doesn`t that leave some deep scratches in the steel? Or are y`all using some kinda` wheel I`m not familiar with?

They sell a fine, a medium and a course version of these wheels.

I used the coarse and it did put some fine scratches into the metal, but if you go over the frame with some fine grit sandpaper afterwards it should take all of that out.

wirewheel2.jpg

These shots show the frame without any sanding.

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

I ususally use a coarse one...if you move the wheel around enough, and go sort of fast...It works fine, just dont stay in one spot and you wont get those nasty scratches...At least this is what i do and i have no problems to date.

Its a bit of a pain to get in the crevices, but i have a huge grinder.

You can also find them to attach on an angle grinder.

ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Wear long sleaves and pants too. Those brass bristles flying all over.

Thanks Guys. I`ll have to look around and see if I can find something a little finer grade. The couple I have seem mighty coarse...

Back