Wood Bleach Deal!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Natrona Heights, PA- 20 Miles NE of Pittsburgh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small paint store in town that seams to have been there forever. I stop in from time to time for some things. I found that they have very good prices on sand paper. Yesterday I was going to be in the area and thought I would stop and pock some up. When I pulled up, there was a sign for a liquidation sale. The woman that ran the store was in her 90's and had passed away so it is closing.

When I went in, the man was busy waiting on a customer so I was looking around. I never thought to look for wood bleach there before but there it was. Some of it looked like it may have been there for some time but what could go wrong with it?

I ended up buying all they had, 7 containers of the wood bleach, 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of paint, and all the sandpaper they had left. There was about 20 sheets of 220, 20 of 300 and 30 or so of 400 grit. I got everything for a total of $12.00!! I wish they had more. I hate to see the place close, but at least I got a great deal.

The sad part is that you'll probably never get another hardware store like that. If your town is like most you'll end up with a Wal-Mart where the person in the hardware department won't even know why you'd want to bleach wood, and ask if you've tried using Clorox.

alright, i'll bite. what is wood bleach? and why would one need to bleach wood?

Markm said:
it "eats" rust
so the next logical question is, why'd they call it wood bleach? :)
i always use c.l.r. (calcium,lime,rust) how do the 2 compare?

Wood bleach will lighten wood that is weathered such as decks ,rails or wood shingles.It will also kill any fungus in the wood.Back in the day I used to refinish very very old log cabins in the Northwoods of WI. We would sandblast,bleach,re-chink the joints and then refinish. The bleach we used was Hydrochloric acid if I remember right.It was 15 times stronger than Clorox.I have scars where a drop got on my arm and chest.We used to joke that the warning label said "in case it gets in eyes,buy a dog".We wore complete rain suits ,hood, total face protection and rubber gloves.Be very careful with that bleach !!!! I had no idea it could be used for rust,learn something everyday. :wink:

It's oxalic acid. Do a search for it and you will what and how to use it to remove rust. Works great. I use a large plastic storage container, mix up a batch, and it can be saved and used over again for a long time. Soak your parts, wait, remove, and the rust wipes right off. You mix it weak, not like the instructions say to do for wood, so it isn't too bad on your skin, just be careful any way. I am still experimenting for the best mix and soak times.

Old Putz said:
The sad part is that you'll probably never get another hardware store like that. If your town is like most you'll end up with a Wal-Mart where the person in the hardware department won't even know why you'd want to bleach wood, and ask if you've tried using Clorox.
i know what its like i like the old is better i rember perrys nut shop its a old novelty shop in maine i can remember it had wood floors and and big elephant out front and real taxidermy animals inside then later on they went out of business then sometime after that they went back in bussiness and its all modernized no more animals anymore i miss how it used to be i have heard storys of small town life where almost everyone goes to the same church the small towns where a lot safer back in the 60s and before now the whole world looks ugly the cars. and the houses which have all been mondernized to keep energy efficiant sometimes i see some nice old rundown homes that look like they have not been touched in the last 50 years :roll:

Back