Woody Henderson {7-26. Bike is done! ...}

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No, not the love child of Woody Harrelson and Florence Henderson, but hey, it can't hurt to start with 2 of the worlds most beloved celebrities...... :roll: :mrgreen:

Woody-Harrelson.jpg

imagesCA402ER3.jpg

I won't really get going on the thread for a bit, but I did want to get something posted on "opening day".

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

:)

Re: Woody Henderson

herr_rudolf said:
It's a start.
Nice badge btw...
Good luck and cheers!

Get it?

Cheers...
:roll: :oops: :wink:

yes, i'm looking forward to seeing a 'bunch' of bikes...... :roll: :mrgreen:

Re: Woody Henderson {5-3}

Well, haven't really done anything yet- the garage is undergoing a major reorganization but I did manage to grab a few parts as I stumbled across them, leftovers from projects that didn't materialize..... Let's see, there was the Elgin that went to Phil, the Manton and Smith, the hybrid klunker........ :?

I have a clearer vision this time- a little chrome, a little maple, a little leather, a little black. Of course there's also the comraderie of the build off..... 8)

I had always planned on this prewar Schwinn frame becoming a geared hybrid klunker but the thought of the money involved in braze-ons and real paint kept that idea on permanent hold..... :roll:

Here's the original CL ad....

GetAttachment1.jpg

And here's how it's looked for the last couple years....

DSC01570.jpg

Some of the basics including a 175mm cro-mo crank and a Felt bar......

IMG_0199JPG2.jpg

A nice sturdy seatpost by my semi-retired machinist Ramon. It's nice to have a 'go-to' guy for little things like seatposts, spacers, etc. I always try to keep one or two of these around in case he really does retire..... :wink:

IMG_0198.jpg

Took a few minutes to trace the tank outline on some posterboard....

IMG_0205.jpg

Well, what could be in here.....?

IMG_0195.jpg

Oh yeah! A cool Shimano 'Coasting' chain! These have a thick, smooth, quality feel. I knew I'd use this someday! Thanks, Randy!

IMG_0197.jpg

I'll get started in earnest this weekend. I have a wheelset, but I think I'll use different hubs, I guess it's time to unbuild/rebuild. :)

This will be a pretty clean, simple bike, so not much to find. As usual the Brooks saddle will be the major expense..... :shock:

I've never seen that chain before, it's a work of art!

Now, I wonder if my chain break tool would tear it up, or if it would tear up my chain break tool?

Nice bike, I also have a prewar Henderson that I bought off Craigslist. Yours is actually the first one like mine that I've seen, I'll definently be watching this one! Good luck!

Re: Woody Henderson {5-9}

Well, got my daughter moved out of her dorm, finished cleaning the garage, the lawn mower and trimmer are up and running, the yard's coming along.........time for some build off fun! :D

Now I can make it a mess again.....

IMG_0223.jpg

As mentioned earlier, time to unbuild/rebuild some wheels using some more recently acquired hubs. Out with the Shimano coaster on the rear......

And in with a spiffed up and spaced out (126mm) Bendix....

DSC_0008.jpg

Out with a shabby old Suzue....

And in with a shiny Schwinn LeTour!

DSC_0026.jpg

Now let's mount 'em up!

24" Thick Brick on the rear.....

IMG_0237.jpg

26" Quick Brick on the radially laced front.....

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Sharp-eyed viewers may haved noticed the dropouts on the Pyramid cruiser fork are a little different than usual.....

IMG_0232.jpg

Hopefully (for safety's sake) I didn't get too carried away, but I really like the low profile front......

IMG_0234.jpg

Re: Woody Henderson {5-14}

After work I popped in the headset and slipped in the wheels just to get a look at things.....

IMG_0256JPG2.jpg

The fork mod accomplished what I wanted..... :)

IMG_0263JPG2.jpg

Hard to believe I'm building a prewar Schwinn that's not going to be a klunker, nary a knobby in sight...... :shock:

IMG_0260JPG2.jpg

Next week maybe I'll start a little woodworking- I have an idea for the 'woody' panels that does not include any wrap around frame clamps...... :idea: :wink:

Re: Woody Henderson {5-9}

Gold Street Customs said:
Nice fork mod!!!

Here's the stock fork. Ho hum...... :|

IMG_0254JPG2.jpg

5-24 "Chwinn stem"

Just a minor part update, I remembered this old ACS/Schwinn stem was somewhere in the bottom of a box. Since it came off of an old Schwinn "Sierra" mtb it's drilled as a cable stop- effectively making it a "Chwinn".... :D

Original condition (when I asked the stupid question in "other bikes".....).

IMG_0274.jpg

Cleaned up pretty good with the Turtle Wax.....

IMG_0279.jpg

And here it is all "sexified"......... :mrgreen:

CSC_0043JPG2.jpg

Aren't digital cameras fun? :wink:

Anyhoo, it ought to look OK with the black Felt bar, better than the old Diamondback mtb/bmx stem I was going to use..... :)

Back