yer sisters raleigh record? not anymore!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was feeling bored, not quite ready to tackle the columbia resto I have planned, and I decided to try out a few of the tricks I had seen mentioned here. Chose this raleigh to hack on because the paint's in decent shape,(too cold to shoot any color here)
Before;
PICT0059.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

Out came the pipe bender and the angle grinder with cut-off wheel, a lil chop-chop. swap-swap, and...
PICT0061.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

I still need to cut the tube for the seat post a little shorter, decide which way I want the stem to point, and maguyver up some kinda twin tube 3 speed shifter for it. Oh yeah, also need to swap out the 26er crank for a 20 to go with the 20' wheels.
Thanks go out to my fellow ratsters who posted the original how-to's
Finally got some real internet happening here, nice to be able to post and view pics again,
Rick

Thanks guys, at first I had my doubts, but I figured why not try it anyway?
Jetro, believe it or not, that is the original standard 26 inch fork, I put the ol' pipebender to it until it looked right with the 20 inch wheel. With forks that curved, anybody think I should be running some kinda truss rods up front??
If I were to rake the neck, i'd have to go even longer with forks to get enough ground clearance for the crank to spin.
Then it would start looking more like this;
menred.jpg

Hope I didn't scare y'all with my ugly mug :wink: Thats another of the jobs I need to get to this winter,I really need to put some kinda swingarm rear suspension on old red. much as I love riding the monster, my back hates me for it!
Rick

rick74304 said:
...With forks that curved, anybody think I should be running some kinda truss rods up front??...

No need for any trusses on the fork since all the weight is basically on or behind the rear axle. You might add the truss just for extra weight in the front...I bet the thing is a wheelie monster!!

That looks great. The seat tube and the sissy bar are at an extreme angle. I would be worried about some bending there. Some braces going down to the seat stay from the top of the seat tube may help that.

That being said. It looks wild. Like a funny car from the early days.

Not really - my Massacre has 3 or so inch's cut from the top tubes and a v notch in the down tube. a 27inch for and 22inch wheels. But I put a US BB in and short 1 piece cranks.
IMO the front looks like a bulldog (like you ran up the .... of a truck) or snow plow..
Dunno, maybe a springer fork??????

NICE! NICE!...........Forks looks great.............Whole bike looks real cool!

Back