Yo Taxi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bike I have been goofing around with. needs to be painted better eventually, but now its good. A bit harder to pedal than normal, anyone know what might be the problem, could it be an old chain problem?

taxibike.jpg

I think the paint looks great.

You could try lubing your chain or replacing. The other option is to change the gearing. Buy a 22 tooth cog for the rear. It is fairly easy to change.

Cool. If it's harder to pedal maybe your getting older? Or the chain could be too tight. Or the bottom bracket could be too tight. Or the wheel bearings could be too tight.

I usually turn it upside down and rotate the cranks to isolate the problem. You can eyeball the chain as it goes around to see how it's riding the sprockets and check the sprockets for bends. Older chains aren't always the same tension as they go around. Occasionally, the chain will have to come off to check the crank bearings. If everything runs smooth and easy, it's probably the same problem I have, hauling more weight and getting older.

see, i thought the bb was the problem, checked it, relubed, made sure its not too tight, still hard. rebuilt the rear hub, still hard, and the gearing is only 2 teeth off of another bike i have, would it make it that much harder?

Yeh 2 teeth is noticeable. But sometimes it's just in your head. Whenever I switch bikes it always feels weird at first. I always think something is wrong, but it's often just a question of getting used to it. But did you check the chain tension?

the tension is a little loose, i am going to get a new chain anyway. that one is just an old one that i had laying around when i was putting pieces together.

so, loosened up the chain a bit and added a different seat, and it helped alot.

changes to the taxi bike
232323232%7Ffp99%3A%3Enu%3D5237%3E8%3B3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33485648%3A8335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3A8%3B%3Enu%3D5237%3E8%3B3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33485648%3A%3B335nu0mrj

Back