you know you're bored when you build a fixie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simmer down, simmer down now. i'm kidding... sorta

Picture148-1.jpg

bored, broke and digging though the bike pile. i have two of these fuji folding mountain bikes and always thought it would make a good simplified city bike, if not a full on fixie.

i'm not doing a real fixie, i'm calling it a faux fixie i guess. in the pic i stuck on some 27" wheels with a freewheel off a schwinn chopper. i just put them on to see if they clear the frame. i also have some 26" wheels with a three speed hub. i'm just gonna play with them both with the end goal being a 3 speed coaster brake on a 27" rim. whatever shifter i find will be back by the wheel with just a front brake if i can find a coaster three speed. to keep the simple look but still have both brakes.

i'm not yet that into it that i'm ready to start grinding off cable stops and all the original parts are in a box for now with no cables cut in case i come to my sences. i think if i find the rear hub i want that will be the turning point.

does... does this make me a hipster wannabe?

ehh...

Picture149-1.jpg

took it for a ride around the block... where's my stretch at?

put the 26"-ers back on 'cause they were in better shape. been so long since i messed with road bikes i didn't know much about 700c wheels. i guess they're actually smaller than 27" wheels. so i may stay with 26".

it's done for now. i'll let finding a good coaster brake 3 speed wheel be what kicks off doing any more. it sure won't be a high priority.

found a girls three speed coaster brake bike that became my donor. took the rear wheel, shifter, caliper brake and rack (the rack is messing with how it folds so it probaly won't stay).

Picture163.jpg

i put the shifter nearer to the back of the bike. i'm not good with internal gear bikes so i thought having it on the same half of the bike as the rear wheel would help keep it working right if it's been folded and unfolded. plus it kind of makes it not so obvious like it might be running from the handle bars back to the wheel, so it helps with my faux fixie look. i think if i get to paint, i'll paint it also, to camoflage it more.

Picture164.jpg

i need a shorter cable and to work out a cable guide/stop to get it working. right now i'm doing it the hi tech way (stuck a rock in the shifter)

my spoke cards are just some plastic from a package with reflective tape wrapped around them, so they have a practical purpose as reflectors. as mentioned, i'll probaly lose the rack, but i may look for one of those that goes on the seat pole, because the seat pole comes out anyway when it's folded.

i think this will stay in my collection. i can stick it on the front of the local public transit buses (something i've been wanting to do with a stretch but haven't been able to figure out yet) and by making sure i try and keep the folding feature means it'll be easier to maybe stick in a car if i want to take it somewhere with me.

Back