your best technique for removing.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to remove the snap ring. These pics may help. They are from CRASH's posts.

dsc1082p.jpg

dsc10792.jpg

MulhollandBikes&co said:
Im talkin on a sprocket for your crankset lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For that I use a pair of channel locks, grab two notches and pull. A vice is real handy if the nut is being difficult. If it is real rusty soak it with your rust buster of choice. Letting it soak for a couple days will help. If all else fail grab a big hammer and flat head.

If it's not on too tight, the Park Tool HCW-5 Lock Ring Spanner works great for the drive side cone (which is what secures the chainwheel to the crank)

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-HCW-5-L ... B000C17KRI

If it's really stuck, like others I use plenty of penetrating lube, wait a couple of days, then use a big flat blade screwdriver and hammer to tap it loose. Note that all the drive side cones I've run into are normal lefty-loosey (turn counter clockwise to remove), unlike the non-drive side cone and locknut which are opposite threaded (righty-loosey).

old_skool said:
If it's not on too tight, the Park Tool HCW-5 Lock Ring Spanner works great for the drive side cone (which is what secures the chainwheel to the crank)

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-HCW-5-L ... B000C17KRI

If it's really stuck, like others I use plenty of penetrating lube, wait a couple of days, then use a big flat blade screwdriver and hammer to tap it loose. Note that all the drive side cones I've run into are normal lefty-loosey (turn counter clockwise to remove), unlike the non-drive side cone and locknut which are opposite threaded (righty-loosey).

That tools awesome! And holy crap its cheap lol

Heat it up. I have had to on a few stubborn ones if they have been on there for ages

MulhollandBikes&co said:
Im talkin on a sprocket for your crankset lol
If it is the sprocket on the crank then the pipe wrench and a vice will be your ticket. That is what I used, also look at the threading to make sure you turn it the right way. You don't need to turn it the direction of tightening it because that will get you no where fast. I believe one of them on the crank is a left hand thread.

Back