You've got mail!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post here, so hello!
I somehow stumbled upon this forum at the weekend, and was inspired enough to start looking for a suitable bike for my next project :)
I spotted this little gem on everybody's favourite internet auction site, stuck a cheeky bid on, and managed to win it, much to my surprise:

4AFZElYs0eY8QqCMun4HSWj5Ark-3b_GulSKoHpUoPYRiUmxwW365bEtBZ337kbzKWigvzvLPxbulC2BtZTrFHU8Xj1exopOzlUmkp4g4budYAbfnAkTPK8W_l0XOZ8wpV0A2jWnFe4aMAXQGCRr3yIFHLkF2wRjFop_Lq95REQcoEAszbuvbCwwp6G1mDW76ylrnETqalD9X2oiUOg_55afuBi6p-WnFpfA0rjCuhji_DTO-excM518koTivWP88gPLYqAKh6qbmBeYN5RXVw3GiUije47EhJgx7Hk2xlbW0RtfLW-keHw7kAua1D5bFru6MUidmn00z2CEbSgyXsa-eXHVUzgvgzEbFZ4dHq3b1R9HgJXUKQ1vH037rcNsyDLdv4F1of1OCXyeszaBOHUDaI5ecoGJbkBawRjnNv13ELplQbWCzaX6GcPYELCpaR5jp2A59KIr3PqaqYrmrj6L6uX4q1BU-yCxJ11ALjzew48TXW6bOss9ZXpZBOTumrWL093u6Wsw3xNGNGYNOvZDD2d67XWW1TfIS6Fz7z5fdiYWZM_7bj-9Es3cOumbE1P41Q=w1199-h673-no

It's a Pashley Mailstar, one of thousands once used by Royal Mail for delivering letters and parcels across the UK (all now retired due to health and safety concerns...).
I had a little ride to the shop and back to try it out, and absolutely love it! It's ridiculously heavy (25kg), and very slow, but a joy to ride, and should make a great cruiser/shopper/child-mover.

It does however need some rat rod treatment, to relieve it of the Royal Mail livery is nothing else, so I spent the last couple of days stripping it down.
I'm not 100% sure what my plan is yet, but it will be low cost, fairly simple (it's my first bike build), and probably a little ghetto knowing what my handywork is like!

Last edited:
Welcome to RRB.
I've seen many similar bikes across Europe and always thought they had a lot of potential. They are definitely built like tanks.

Interesting bike. Definitely a lot of potential things you can do with that.

Thanks all.
I hadn't really thought about making a frame from scratch, but you've got me thinking now.
I could probably give it a go, but I doubt it'd be straight, and it certainly wouldn't be neat!
The stuff I do tends to look ok from several feet away, but doesn't tend to stand up to close scrutiny!
I might look into giving it a go for my next project though, could be fun :D

Last edited:
IMG_20160420_205220220.jpg
Haven't made a huge amount of progress recently, but started on the sissy bar and seat.
This is my dubious cardboard mock up.
I'm not quite sure how to fabricate the real thing yet.
My original idea was a plywood base covered with foam, but I'm not sure that's going to work now.
Anyone have any ideas?

That looks awesome Luke!

My first attempt resulted in a snapped piece of plywood... I'll try again!

Back