Zundapp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have a go at building a push bike something like this, it's a Zundapp used by the German army during
WW II sort of stand off scale, hopefully I'll get her done in the time? So sketch first and a bit of planning.
p4259414.jpg
p4259416.jpg

Been a model maker for some time, so got a 1/24th scale kit of the bike to get an idea on some of the details.
p4259409.jpg
p4259411.jpg

Bit more planning with pencil on paper.
p4259418.jpg
p4259419.jpg

Drew up a scaled up plan for the frame, just slightly smaller than a real one.
p4259417.jpg
p4259415.jpg

Wow! Very cool concept! :shock:
Love the r.h.s. frame with pie cuts idea! :wink:
Been reading through your notes (what I can rear of them in the pics.) Going to be a very cool and interesting build! :wink:

Luke.

Yeah mate she will be a bit complex, might not make it with the time but hey love a challenge!
Not really that worried about the deadline to be honest, was going to build it anyway.

Sorting out a frame and some bits tomorrow if it doesn't rain, hey mate it's late you should be in bed!

I know that Dr. Tankenstein will be watching this one. He has one of those forks.
Good luck.

Got my donor bike stripped this morning and some bits of steel for the frame.
p4269513.jpg
p1128218.jpg

So here is the front section of frame, mounted up on a jig of plywood with nails to hold it's position.
p2058367.jpg
p2058364.jpg

Multi pie cuts to get that aggressive curve in the lower frame, will be tricky to weld. The top end not so difficult
p2058365.jpg
p2058366.jpg

Thought you would get smile from this...
This is a Wanderer another german bike it was given to me...
She just sits in storage,until I figure out if I should rat it or make it original... :D

Wow what a cool bike, looks like it is a copy of a Zundapp frame, is that 20inch
wheels or maybe 22inch? If it was me and it's not my call I'd keep that original
patina, so the brackets in front of the pedals are for an engine? Any idea of her
age? Thanks for sharing and yep made me happy and a bit motivated!

Hope my frame is close to that, might get some welding done over the weekend.

:lol: Thats the silencer
LukeTheJoker said:
Very cool pic, and great inspiration for this build!
Personally I would use a real muffler rather than that cat though, don't think it will last long attached the end of the exhaust...

Luke.

She would be from the late 30's, with a 98cc sachs motor. A lot of German frames were similar at that time NSU. Miele, Zundapp ,Sachs, etc... I think they are 22" wheels will go check tomorrow, the original color is a red... The blue is a bad paint job... :lol: Here is a whip around of a full one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGKgnr6nY4
Pushie Pirate said:
Wow what a cool bike, looks like it is a copy of a Zundapp frame, is that 20inch
wheels or maybe 22inch? If it was me and it's not my call I'd keep that original
patina, so the brackets in front of the pedals are for an engine? Any idea of her
age? Thanks for sharing and yep made me happy and a bit motivated!

Hope my frame is close to that, might get some welding done over the weekend.

WOW! I´m loving your concept and execution so far, I´m subscribed and can´t wait to see progress!

Had a big day melting some metal together, pretty much got the front section of the frame sorted.
The box sections are cut up lengths of my kids old bunk bed and the steel is pretty thin. I didn't want
to weld every individual pie cut so made up a plate and welded it along the edge. Also cut out the rear
section of the donor frame that I am using. There are a few tricky angles going on so a bit of the old
grey matter over heated working it all out, so far so good. Didn't get many pic's here is where I'm at
now. Really wanted the top line straight like the original frame so the seat post is shorter. Hope to
get the whole thing as one piece soon, getting there slowly.

p3238526.jpg

Starting to look like a frame already!
What do you have planned for wheels and tires? The original photo shows that the bike had very fat looking tires, might be hard to re-create that with bike tires?

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Starting to look like a frame already!
What do you have planned for wheels and tires? The original photo shows that the bike had very fat looking tires, might be hard to re-create that with bike tires?

Luke.

Yeah love to go fat but 26inch for the guards (fenders) I have, brakes and riderblity,
like I said she will be stand off scale, I live pretty remote so classic ratting for me
build with wot ya got! There ain't no big hardware store down the road sadly!

Back