Zero Dollar Build (FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to start another build. I figure I have enough junk lying around the garage, why not build a free bike! :p Gonna use my Firestone frame which I've had for years, forks and fenders from my other girl's firestone, and whatever else i can scrounge up. I'm thinking bare metal everything, maybe let mother nature paint it, red tires, and whatever seat and grips I can find. Here's a pic of what I have so far, that seat isn't staying.

IMG_3319.jpg

Re: Zero Dollar Build

Ok one post and nothing else. I really like those fenders. They look cool on a bike. You got a good start .

I have the fenders down to bare metal, that's how far I got when my Vertigo and headaches struck again :x . It may be a while before I get to play in the garage again.

Hate to hear that...Hope you get to feeling better. That stuff comes and goes .....hope it goes for ya.

Put the fenders outside and covered them with salt. I've got everything but the frame stripped down right now, just need to get it done and back outside. Maybe after X-mas I'll spend some time on it.

IMG_3320.jpg

I am always for building with what you have. I hear you on the time factor too.

Re: Zero Dollar Build 12/22

We're supposed to get a snowstorm soon, so I thought I'd get it together as much as possible and leave it outside. The rims seem to be rusting faster than anything else for some reason :| . I had some old Firestone vinyl decals left over, so those will stay on until it gets a good layer of rust, then peel them off for a bare metal look. I'm thinking red tires, the original red chainguard and red/white seat, and scrounge around for some red or white grips.

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

usually dont us hobbists get rid of rust? :wink: love it!

Yeah, I think the salt is doing weird things to it. I've been hosing it down and resalting it every couple of days, it might take some time to get a good layer of rust on her.

I found that if you spray some vinegar onto it you get more of a 'range' of rust colours and effects, if you know what I mean... Good lookin' unit too so far mate, I like the spats on the guards too 8)

That looks cool just the way it is now. I can't wait to see it complete.

crackedpiston said:
I found that if you spray some vinegar onto it you get more of a 'range' of rust colours and effects, if you know what I mean... Good lookin' unit too so far mate, I like the spats on the guards too 8)

Vinegar you say, I'm gonna try that in the morning. Thanks :wink:

Re: Zero Dollar Build 12/27

A week outside, a lot of salt and vinegar, and it's finally looking decent. This is worse than watching paint dry :? . It's finally snowing here so that should help out a little also. I've got the fender braces soaking in white vinegar to strip the paint off, got tired of breathing nasty stripper fumes. I'm almost ready to start building wheels and assembling the bike. :D

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

do you rub the salt on, like on a hunk of meat? :D

Latest posts

Back