Zero Dollar Build (FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Zero Dollar Build (FIRST MOCKUP 12/29)

My rims finally got rusty enough, so I built up my wheels last night, and decided to mock up the bike this morning. I like everything but the tires, I wish they matched the chainguard and seat a little better, but oh well. This bike wreaks of vinegar, it's going out in the pole barn for a while to air out.

wheels.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

nice! and it bothers me too that brick red tires never match red paint.

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/2

I have this schwinn sprocket for the bike, but really hate the design. So why not just modify it? It looks cool with a quick photoshop, now where'd I put my zipwheel.

IMG_3354-1.jpg

sprocket1.jpg

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/2

stretch said:
do you rub the salt on, like on a hunk of meat? :D

I took a scoop of driveway salt, let it sit in a spray bottle of water for a few days, and my insta-rust spray was born! :lol:

well then that should work. :lol:

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/3

Sprocket turned out kinda cool, should look better after I dremel the edges smooth. May let it rust, or paint it flat black. But right now it's cold out here, I'm going back inside!

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

that looks pretty cool!

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/6

Decided on rust for the sprocket, I think it looks right at home. The frame and fender rust darkened and I'm really happy with the way this bike is turning out. Been thinking about taking this to the bike show/swap in Indy next month. I'll put it in with the show bikes, those purist's and restorers will hate it! :p

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

I dig rusty bikes, especially with red tires. It definitely matches rust better than it matches red paint. Nice job.

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/9

Decided on a different set of bars and stem. I'm going to weld in a crossbar and give them the signature rust treatment. Also found these old white grips, cool part is they say Firestone on them. 8)

IMG_3404.jpg

That's downright nasty! :D (In a good way of course :wink: ). You've inspired me to try this myself... I absolutely love it!

kingplinker said:
far out - neat bike - those fenders are super cool! So vinegar takes off pant? Do you clear coat everything? interesting....nice bike...
I wouldn't say vinegar is a paint stripper, more like a paint agitator. It'll take off cheap bomb can paint, but I doubt it would do anything to original or automotive paint. You're better off using aircraft stripper or something along those lines.

We had a blistering heat wave of 42 degrees today :roll: , so I got out in the garage and finished up my bars. Welded up the cross bar and added about 1 1/2" to the bar ends, I kinda like them. Got my fender struts down to bare metal also. I guess the only thing left to do is rust up the bars and struts, and then find a chain and pedals, then I'm done. :)

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/14

Those bars are burly looking. I like that thicker cross bar.

Gonna use a rusty chain? :mrgreen:

Re: Zero Dollar Build 1/14

I'm hoping to find a Monark 5 bar stem or something like it so that I can run the bars like this, or be able to clamp on the crossbar. Chain: I'm thinking a blingin' chrome one! :lol: Probably just run a nice normal chain, rusty chains scare me.

Calling it done for now :D Bars and fender braces have some catching up to do on rust, but that's mother natures job. Had a heck of a time getting the front/rear sprockets perfectly aligned, but it's smooth sailing now. Too dark out for pics today, I'll have to wait for the sun to come back around. Total out of pocket: $0.00, total labor and curse words involved: no comment :lol:

IMG_3506.jpg

Back