'61 Schwinn Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
before:
Pictures004.jpg

after:
Pictures020.jpg

thanks guys!

i got some grief from the Schwinn aficionados today for repainting it but i think it turned out great. the bike wasnt even rideable when i got it, so why not fix it up. thinking about selling it now to make room for the next project anyone interested?

i think its kind of funny, every bottom-dollar-discount can of spray paint at the hardware store has a picture of a bike right on the can, its like we are supposed to paint them :lol:

im one of those anti schwinn guys - but i love these frames!

62 is the one where the rear triangle was not connected to the twin bars. i learned this triva when i had mine.
DSC_0002.jpg

but not to take away from this build.

i love it, do exactly what you want to do and dont let those schwinn nazis tell you any different!

nice build! as far as i know, 1961 was the only year where the straight bar actually turned into the rear triangle.

"62 is the one where the rear triangle was not connected to the twin bars. i learned this trivia when i had mine."

I've been wondering why some skippers were that way. My friend has a 61 that has the bars connected all the way back, while others claiming to be 61 didn't. That makes sense now.

the 62 Typhoon was the only bike in a pictured advertisement with that frame. my 62 straightbar (bars connecting to the dropouts) has an M1 serial # (Dec 61). 62 was the first year for the typhoon, but I've seen those frames on Skippers and Flying stars as well that looked all original. All i know is they were made as early as 61 and werent made after 62. the 60 and earlier twin straightbar frames did not connect with the rear dropouts (like a tornado frame).

I know mine was a typhoon originally, sanded through the spraybomb on the chainguard and found the lettering between the layers.

I am currently working on a Straightbar Schwinn Skipper right now. Waiting on a friend to rebuild the 2-speed automatic hub and it will be about done. Will try and post some pics tonight.

Latest posts

Back