'61 Schwinn Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice schwinns! i have a 64' feista, and it has the same block pedals that look more like the old style torrington pedals, like the ones on lobsterboys streaightbar. are mine stock?

Pic of a Schwinn Skipper I am currently working on for a customer. Bike has a build date of Nov. 1961.

bike3001.jpg

This is the second Schwinn Skipper I have had pass thru my hands and I live in a small town of 2,000 people.
Probably my favorite bike that Schwinn made.

Kudos to you CCR, you may not be an expert, but right as rain you are on this! I gave up a long time ago debating this frame. I have had nothing but nasty experiences doing so. I am no expert either, I did however download and print all the catalog pages about this frame as well as the part# and description page. Anyhoo, in my searches and looksies into this one, the earliest "Typhoon" offering I have seen was nov.61 the earliest original Schwinn build on this frame was a Skipper dated aug. 61. A Nov. build date would obviously be a 62 model offering, as far as the skippers went, I suspect the "new" style frame may have been all that was left for builds that late in the game. And so it was! Later & PEACE!!!!

Lots of nice looking bikes showing up on this thread! i love how its become "post your '61 or '62 Schwinn straightbar". Keep 'em comin'!

There is a 62 locally all original and worn but not thrashed shape for 140$ , thinking about picking it up.

Ok here's my sixty something :mrgreen: Before and after paint. The old paperboy basket has been powdercoated red. I'll post so you guys can check it out!!
62Typhoon.jpg

This is after the paint job :mrgreen:
1962Typhoonrepaint.jpg

Since everyone else is posting their bikes, I'm gonna post my pics now, too. :wink: Mine was built in August of '61. Skipper or Typhoon? I'd rather be riding a Typhoon, so that's what I call it.

Before(as purchased)

What the ??!!
101_9055.jpg

As it sits now.
do_not_open_-_missy_061.jpg

do_not_open_-_missy_059_12sl.jpg

100_1888_p3ki.jpg

Look at it this way, the curved cantilever frames were the "IN" bikes at the time, the straightbar bikes were getting less desirable as time went by. From a manufacturing viewpoint, it seems like it would be an easier process to make the 62 version of the straightbar frame to me than the added processes to make the earlier twin straightbar frames. so i feel pretty confident that the 62 twin straightbar was intended for a more efficient manufacturing process, by the time they get that lined out they realize " hey, lets just use the same frame for all our bikes " and allapeanutbutterandjellysandwiches no more straightbar frames.

my fictional take on it anyway

Hey blacksheep, your bike was the first 62 I ever seen. After comin across your bike while surfin the web I was "WoW'ed"!! Your bike is very, very, very, and very nice... :shock:

jimmyjam said:
Hey blacksheep, your bike was the first 62 I ever seen. After comin across your bike while surfin the web I was "WoW'ed"!! Your bike is very, very, very, and very nice... :shock:

Thanks! It's a nice bike, but maybe it's the "before and after" that's got you wowed. Every time I look at that before picture I think "Sanford and Son" for some reason. It didn't take much to improve the appearance. :lol:

jimmyjam said:

Exact same story here. I was not familiar with the '62 frame until I saw your bike while surfing. Now I have two 62's. A black one that I fully restored and a rust one that is sorta like yours built from parts. Looking for a third frame with nice red paint to use my NOS fenders on.
Early '61 Tornado etc frames had separate twin bars. Late '61 frames went to the double straight bar that went to the drop outs. The '62 Typhoon used this frame. I would guess your bike to be a Tornado with an Aug '61 build date.
62Typhoonframe.jpg

62Restorationdisassembled.jpg

62startside.jpg

Blackfendersandguard.jpg

Back