Firewing II - BO8 Bike Mods- St Pats Trade, yes I am Trading Firewing!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
IMG_2628_zps577f6cb0.jpg

I am very proud of getting 2nd Place in BO8 with Firewing and I love the sleekness of the bike with the low upside down ramshorns and such.
The bike is fun to ride, but the riding position isn't ideal for my beer gut. It tends to get in the way of leaning over far enough.
So, in preparation for the Savannah Bicycle Campaign's Midnight Garden Ride at the end of this month. I am going to make some simple changes.
It's mostly just a bar change, but I feel it will change the feel of the build enough that I am dubbing this Firewing II.

The bars that I plan to use will be very appropriate for the 1953 Columbia. I am going to use these cross brace repops.
IMG_2235_zps08058a56.jpg

Also DBubbleGuy sent me this wicked 1949 Tom Thumb Bike Radio that is converted to use any mp3 player. It's a great color match to the bike and fits the era as well.
5756325898_d41f9c8ff2_z_zps6b57f3a5.jpg

5541816718_c523f364fc_m_zps8f670ded.jpg

tomthumb_zpse740b170.jpg

That's all for now. Stay tuned.

Re: Firewing II - Changes to my Build Off 8 Bike

outskirtscustoms said:
Maybe keep the ramhorn bars and get a longer stem?

I may play around with that idea, but the radio wouldn't look good with that setup. I can always switch back and forth on the styles. Firewing II by day, Firewing by night.

Love those new bars... reckon they will look great on Firewing. Can't wait to see it 8)

Glen.

Glen said:
Love those new bars... reckon they will look great on Firewing. Can't wait to see it 8)

Glen.

Thanks Glen, I am pretty sure that these were the bars that came with some of the Columbia repros.

Hope to get time to do the bar swap tomorrow. Spent too much time at Home Depot tonight figuring out what I needed to make the handlebar radio mounts.

img_4925.jpg

Re: Firewing II - Build Off 8 Bike Mods - 8/22 Bars

Swapped out the bars tonight and took Firewing II out for a ride. PERFECT riding position for the seat and my beer gut was very pleased.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE NEW BARS?
I know it's not as "custom", but I welcome positive and negative feedback.

Here are my crappy cell phone photos.

WP_002721_zps465d5d47.jpg

WP_002722_zps371359e1.jpg

WP_002723_zps85037e6e.jpg

WP_002724_zps667ea5fb.jpg

WP_002725_zpse22da939.jpg

WP_002726_zps0d01a8ac.jpg

WP_002727_zps61c529a2.jpg

WP_002729_zpsfefd2149.jpg

WP_002733_zpsbdf0155d.jpg

Looks nice but I still like the ram horn bars. Maybe try them right side up like RaTornado?

texasbigjon said:
got anymore pictures? :lol:

Not yet, but you know that there will be more to come. :D

outskirtscustoms said:
Looks nice but I still like the ram horn bars. Maybe try them right side up like RaTornado?

I meant to give that a shot before I tried the cross bars. I'll take a look at them again.

kingfish254 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I meant to give that a shot before I tried the cross bars. I'll take a look at them again.

I was gonna say that'd give a nice little cradle for the radio to sit in and I know mine is just perfect height to be comfortable.

I like the way these are looking though. We'll see.

I like them better than the rams horns 8)

I like them better. I would probably tilt them down a scosche

Like SCHWINNRAY69 and ifitsfreeitsforme, I prefer them too and also reckon tilting them is the way to go. You do soo many great photos that are sooo tempting to play with, that I once again could not contain myself :roll: ...

Original...
WP_002721_zps465d5d47.jpg

Photoshopped version...
14l4suf.jpg

The front of the bars match the fork angle and the grip part of the bars match the seat angle 8)

LukeTheJoker said:
Those do look very cool King!
Luke.

Thanks Luke

Glen said:
Yep... they look spot on to me. 8)

Thanks Glen

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I like them better than the rams horns 8)

Thanks SR69, It is definitely a more traditional look.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I like them better. I would probably tilt them down a scosche

Glen said:
Like SCHWINNRAY69 and ifitsfreeitsforme, I prefer them too and also reckon tilting them is the way to go. You do soo many great photos that are sooo tempting to play with, that I once again could not contain myself :roll: ...

The front of the bars match the fork angle and the grip part of the bars match the seat angle 8)

Thanks Ian and Glen, I've never had this style of bars before and assumed that horizontal was the norm based on other photos.
Thanks for the photo edit Glen. I'll give that a shot. I am thinking that I may not go that angled with them, but I think you guys are onto something.
I appreciate the input.

I really like the new bars :shock:
For me , the rams horns hid too much of the beautiful springer fork.

Looks sick! love the radio

TOO COOL!!

8)

Latest posts

Back