they always put the seat posts too low. Its too hard to ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Saw this comment on the recent Facebook RRB Bike of the Day (Double Nickel's Native American).
"They always have the seat posts too low. Its too hard to ride that way, unless your short!"

It's fun to watch people that just don't get it yet. Their brain is just asking the wrong question.

This was my response.
"You have to look at custom bikes as an art form first and foremost. These are MUCH more than a mode of transportation. When you understand that, the question you'll ask is HOW rather than WHY."

It's a lot like dropped spindles and short springs on a vehicle (which I have) that mimics a dragster. Sometimes it's a hassle to maneuver around dips or bumps, but sure looks cool!

What I have trouble understanding is when I see a saddle tilted back about 45 degrees. It's probably just me, but it seems like it would be hard to stay on and doesn't look good either. Maybe there is a reason for it that I'm not aware of and someone will enlighten me. :?:

The Renaissance Man said:
What I have trouble understanding is when I see a saddle tilted back about 45 degrees. It's probably just me, but it seems like it would be hard to stay on and doesn't look good either. Maybe there is a reason for it that I'm not aware of and someone will enlighten me. :?:

That would be new school BMX guys... slammed seats (all the way down) and tilted up towards the handlebars

They do that to move the seat out of the way as much as possible for doing bike tricks.

They usually don't sit on the seat when riding... they pedal standing up.

Thanks old_skool, I knew there had to be an origin for that. Having missed the whole BMX era, that explains it.

I looked it up...
5217706007_33f668766f.jpg

Sorry King, wasn't trying to hijack your thread. :oops:

This is Bike Talk, anything is fair game here.

I thought the FB poster was a guy that just didn't get the style version function factor.
Turns out, he builds custom chopper bikes, but just hates slams seats.

it don't matter what it is. bicycles,motorcyles,cars, music, art, and plenty more....I was once told " sometimes you gotta suffer a little to be cool".

g-ratter said:
I view it sort of like women and their high heels. A little pain for a little style.

LOL!

Low seat, Low beltline, High Thong is coolest way I have found to show off my tramp stamp. :p :shock:

Yeah I was kind of wondering about that guys comment. He must have not have seen any of my bikes before. All the seat are usually slammed. (Rat Rod Bikes That is). I just told him I am 6'4 and can ride it perfectly.

beatcad said:
it don't matter what it is. bicycles,motorcyles,cars, music, art, and plenty more....I was once told " sometimes you gotta suffer a little to be cool".
yep I agree, same as choppers so low its uncomfortable, so long its hard to ride and so loud its annoying. my lowriders seats are as low as they go purely for looks. and my bmx's are as low as they can go to make some tricks easyer, and a slight angle to make it easyer for me to do superman seatgrabs.
are2aqe8.jpg
duvy9uba.jpg

I have my seat all the way down. Last night I raised it to a more traditional height. It was easier to ride. . . But then I lowered it back down 8)

old_skool said:
The Renaissance Man said:

That would be new school BMX guys... slammed seats (all the way down) and tilted up towards the handlebars

They do that to move the seat out of the way as much as possible for doing bike tricks.

They usually don't sit on the seat when riding... they pedal standing up.

I have my seat like that for a place to lock my legs onto when doing bar spins, no handers. Plus its more comfortable to sit on when your just chillin out. Modern BMX bikes are not made to ride long distances just shred.
600146_10200735945109383_1635825353_n.jpg

Could be sacrilegious, but I suppose with a quick flip release you could actually raise the seat to ride it....
Then again I put a shock absorber seat post and straight handle bars on my old Cannondale T400 touring bike...
That racing bike position ain't for me either...

I like riding with the seat all the way down and pointed up like that. I feel like I'm sitting on my butt and not on my crotch which for me is more comfortable.

9759146722_42ee60da61_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back