★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 13- More Assembly!)

That thing is coming together nicely! That is one RED wheel! Keep up the good work. 8)

Thanks guys :wink: I made some more progress today and went to put on the chainguard....of course it didn't fit :x Because I used a different crank, the arms are closer to the frame which makes them hit the guard :roll: Oh well...back to work :|

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Thanks guys :wink: I made some more progress today and went to put on the chainguard....of course it didn't fit :x Because I used a different crank, the arms are closer to the frame which makes them hit the guard :roll: Oh well...back to work :|

Aw man, I better bolt mine up and test mine!!!!

kingfish254 said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Aw man, I better bolt mine up and test mine!!!!

Who needs a chainguard anyway????? :mrgreen:

I would go without a chainguard, but it's just too cool! :shock:
011.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I would go without a chainguard, but it's just too cool! :shock:
011.jpg

I'd have to agree with ya after seeing it. Time to get the grinder out & make it fit! 8) :mrgreen:

You HAVE to keep that guard, it's awesome!!!! Probably the SECOND coolest guard in BO7. :wink: :shock: :p

Good news!! :D :D The chainguard fits...I was putting it on WRONG :roll: :lol: :roll:

Bad News!! :cry: The rear wheel has a slight bend causing the wheel to hit the chain pretty badly :cry: Anyone have and ideas on how to fix this problem? :?

More good news...I'm so close to being done :p If only I could get the rear on right :x :x

TUBE PROBLEM

It's Wal-Mart's fault :x The wheel was not bent...the tube was messed up :roll: It caused the sidewalls to pop out on the side making it rub :|
Notice the sidewall by the valve stem:
001-8.jpg

The tube :x
012-2.jpg

015.jpg

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(It's a tube problem!)

Is that the right size tube? It looks like the reinforced area by the stem stayed intact and then the tube flared around it.

For what is it worth, I had to get creative because the tire rubbed the chain. On mine, I had to put a spacer behind the sprocket. I used a Schwinn sprocket which has an offset and flipped it over to get the chain away from the tire.

It is a 26x2.125 tube. It should work beacause I know many people use them for 24x3 :D It fits in the wheel and tire perfectly, just the tube has a flaw that Bell must have missed :roll:

I used 26x2.125 tubes in my Ground Zero bike last year... the results were ok and they did hold air, but I also had one explode out the side while inflating because I lost a bead off the rim.

I would try another brand of tube, even a used mountain bike tube or something. Bell is as cheap as they get and I think you have to have a tube that's going to behave itself for this application.

Failing that, actually getting the real correct tube from either the front of an OCC Stingray tire, or a real bike shop, would be the best bet.

Good luck man, it's a temporary setback. As for the wheel not being true, you can live with the rub or try to straighten it a little (gently turn those spoke nuts!). A big tire in your frame just has to be true or nothing works.

We're hoping to see that bike at the show September 1st!
--Rob

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
It is a 26x2.125 tube. It should work beacause I know many people use them for 24x3 :D It fits in the wheel and tire perfectly, just the tube has a flaw that Bell must have missed :roll:

I just used a 24" tube on my kenda 24x3 used on "bad apple" No problems whatsoever & still holding air! Regardless of how wide or tall your tire is, it is still a 24 inch rim. I think the problem may be excess material on the overall diameter or the 26" tube. You might try a 24" tube. Just sharing what worked for me! Good Luck & keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

I used 26x2.125 tubes in my Ground Zero bike last year... the results were ok and they did hold air, but I also had one explode out the side while inflating because I lost a bead off the rim.
I had the same issue with trying to mount a 24x3 Kenda Flame with a regular size tube. I went to an lbs and got a 24 x 3 tube after having seating issues and a tube blowing out the side as well. My 11 year old was helping me. He pumped while I tried to seat the tire. We thought we were done, and then the tube popped out and then exploded. Scared the crap out of both of us, and my boy thought it was quite cool.

With the 24x3 tube (mountain bike tube), it's holding air and has stayed seated with no problems for the last month and half.

Well I just thought I would offer some insight, since I usually fill up 16 to twenty tires a day, myself I would try to find the 24x3 tube and be done with it, when I fill up a tire I put it on the bench and give it a once overto make sure the beads are lined up, the I put about twenty pounds in and keep a tire lever with the spoke hook near by (in case I have to deflate it QUICK!!!) in case the bead popped out, if thats the case low tire pressure you can pop it back in.
If all checks out continue and air up to max pressure if the bead didn't pop out yet, the scary tires are the tubeless that they run on some of the mt bikes, when the bead pops you know it, good luck on your build.

NLCTVWguy said:
As for the wheel not being true, you can live with the rub or try to straighten it a little (gently turn those spoke nuts!). A big tire in your frame just has to be true or nothing works.

+1
I didn't have much trouble with my RRBO build, but I was trying to run a larger 2.125 on a middleweight bike with fenders last year and I spend an hour truing the rear wheel to darn near perfection to get it to fit without rub. I was lucky this year as my Higgins frame had a "little" room for error, but the wheel still had to be really close.

If you look at the pic of the tire mounted, the stem is keeping that section of tube pulled down close to the rim which is where the reinforced section of tube is. The tube on either side of that section is expanding and trying to fill in that area. I think a higher quality tube "might" work. I went with a SunLite 24x 2.75-3.0 tube. I think I ordered mine from Amazon.

Well, thanks for all the info guys :D I'm going to return this tube and replace it for another 26". I'm also going to grab a regular 24" tube like pick said and give it a try :wink: The wheel is fine, it was just that the tire was rubbing on the chain in one spot. That spot was where the tire was bulging.

Latest posts

Back