RRBBO13 1939-40 Elgin Sports Model No (1)3 - (Refurbished Eyes for Elgins)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing around with tank graphics
0668bcdd62293045eacedc95dbefbe33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a couple of these “sport” emblems delivered today from China, tariff free. Scale should work OK.
a78c6b741c444c39a7f14f9fc43c8431.png

Either tank or chainguard or some other bike.

China made “Sport” tank emblem on American made Elgin bicycle...adds International flavor. Right?
Just stuck on, nothing in life is permanent.
c1fdc062c0aaae36b5999f9f8ad8be7e.jpg
9d1074867f7afca752800ce291442c11.jpg
36774074c56203411a95bd09d3fbefa4.jpg
ee070de83deb989fda28ccc5317febbc.jpg

Really dig it, MF! And, I sense a trend here.... @G-Matt 's Satellite, your bike, I'm betting we might see something similar on my beer named Thespian @Falstaff 's ratty Caddy....The 3D logos really are a great look on the rust bucket builds y'all are enticing us with. ChRomE oN~!

I scheduled cataract surgery today. Guess I need to finish this Elgin up and take some finished photos. Or maybe my vision will be better after the fact...now if I just had a better camera. I’ve been using my phone as it’s easier to upload them with Tapatalk.
Possible future project, ‘55 AMF Hawthorne.
641ca49a768d5e076014af2d9668f08d.jpg

Really dig it, MF! And, I sense a trend here.... @G-Matt 's Satellite, your bike, I'm betting we might see something similar on my beer named Thespian @Falstaff 's ratty Caddy....The 3D logos really are a great look on the rust bucket builds y'all are enticing us with. ChRomE oN~!
Thanks I think I like chrome emblem, almost looks like it should be there. I don’t remember what car they were made for.
I have some logo stickers being made from my previous posting. I think the chrome simplicity may trump the stickers.

You've already got a 'good eye' when it comes to seeing creative options for bike builds. The details you will see and add after the surgery will be 'out of sight'! :bigsmile:

The Sport emblem sure looks like it belongs there. I would have never guessed it wasn't original had I not known it.
The contrast to the frame sure helps with the look.
Thanks, I guess the illusion works.
Best of luck with your eyes buddy!
This bike is looking awesome BTW..
Doc says 99% outlook for no issues...my wife had one done last summer. The drops before and after are probably the worst part.
Like it [emoji106][emoji106]

Thought & prayers:
on cataract surgery.
I will tell you this,
Colors will be , far more
vivid, afterward.:D
Hopefully no prayers needed. Part of the assessment testing involved some color tests similar to color blindness tests. Thanks!
You've already got a 'good eye' when it comes to seeing creative options for bike builds. The details you will see and add after the surgery will be 'out of sight'! :bigsmile:
Maybe “minds eye” is filling in for “good eye”. Actually need them both done, one at a time though. My glasses prescription is past the point of improvement. Reading is good but distance vision has gradually gotten fuzzy and any light at night looks very “bright”.
My “after vision” will hopefully show me all my building flaws which I probably won’t want to see. Thanks!

Last edited:
Best wishes with the eye surgery my friend!
I didn't think I would like the emblems, but they look right at home there and are a good match for the cool guard embellishment.
Another sweet build under your belt.
We are all pulling for your speedy and "sporty" recovery.

Picked up some die cut stickers from AppleGraphix today. With the chrome “Sport” deals on the tank these may go unused. Maybe one on chainguard. Hard to get a good photo of the sheet as they have some curl. One sheet is reflective.
60501991d295728d2f751b472a0d2d19.jpg

0e1274dba1faf715dc600be909172672.jpg

One sticker on chainguard..location or color subject to change.
d0e2b7bb2d635b601688729aa65cee1f.jpg
113d6b560dcd243e900e597eee03efb5.jpg

Roughed out the build parts list yesterday.

’39-’40 Elgin Sport Model #(1)3
1. Starting Point: As found repainted original Elgin Bike, frame, fork, truss rods, crank and chainring, chain, stem, kickstand, bars, seatpost, tank, wheel set with Musselman hubs, saddle, two sets of fenders from OK swap meet as found by DeadWrench.
2. Sunlite Sandy Beach 26”x2.50 tires.
3. Elgin rear rack from eBay. Added Delta lens and LED light.
4. Monarch chainguard from El Torreon Swap Meet.
5. Persons repop pedals from eBay.
6. Delta NOS headlight, not period correct.
7. Elgin bicycle lock with 2 keys from eBay.
8. Klaxon horn from estate sale Rollfast Bike.
9. Pontiac starburst emblem from flea market.
10. Fabricated crossbar at handlebars from tent pole.
11. Thompson coke bottle grips.
12. Royal wheel activated bell from eBay, my fabricated activation pull rod with Rat Fink topper.
13. Red Crown tube valve caps from Memory Lane Classics.
14. Modified BF Goodrich safety tag topper from John Deere tractor swap meet.
15. Rat Rod Bikes tag from Rat Rod Bikes.
16. Chrome “Sport” tank emblems from China via eBay.
17. Elgin Sport 13 decal stickers from local Apple Graphix.
18. Miscellaneous hardware from Home Depot, Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware.

As found appearance of the Elgin Sport (1)3...
6c3efd390798ac80eb1939c61504de28.jpg

Sorta complete appearance...
df27deb11b2ce76f2a4167eec9d9825a.jpg

Started my eye drop regimen today prior to the cataract work coming up.

Last edited:
Looking good.:cool2:
I am very familiar with that : eyedrop regiment.[emoji33] hope things go well.:)
And I will say, again,,
Colors , will, be, mucch..more..
Vivid. :grin:
Cataract surgery today...weird experience. New cap out of the process.
4ecca47166247740966d99bb00297b5a.jpg

Phase One: New lens, 6 hours till tape removal, follow up appointment tomorrow, seven more days of drops.
Phase Two: maybe left eye work in a few weeks.
Phase Three: New glasses prescription.

UPDATE:
Tape off at 7:30pm...definitely more vivid colors from right eye. Starbursts and halos gone from lights. So far looking good.

Last edited:
Ed, I'm thinking an eye patch might be a good look. At least for the next 12 hours or so. :wink1:

You can pretend to be a land-locked pirate. Everybody always wanted to be a pirate at some point in their lives.

pirate-bike.jpg

Ed, I'm thinking an eye patch might be a good look. At least for the next 12 hours or so. :wink1:

You can pretend to be a land-locked pirate. Everybody always wanted to be a pirate at some point in their lives.

View attachment 80258
Is there a special clip to keep the peg leg on the pedal?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Best of luck with the eye surgery brother!

Latest posts

Back