are motored bikes street legal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cousin and i were wondering after seeing the turbo charged monstar sting ray. so what is the laws on motored bikes? :D

cool thanks. i have a rebuilt engine sitting in my garage, ill have to find out how big it is so he can put it in his schwinn.

Real easy to look up laws by state. I grew up in VA and by law a moped was a motorcycle with helper pedals, an engine no larger than 49cc, and top speed no higher than 35mph. They took out the "helper pedals" part to allow scooters, but you still must be 16 years or older, you don't need a license, but cannot have a revoked license. Helmet required.

Here in NC, same laws except for the loophole, you can drive one with a revoked license. I hate that part.

Basically, if you make it go over 35mph and get caught, you are legally on a motorcycle and you will be prosecuted. If you are under 16 and get caught, you are endangering your chance to get a license at 16. If you wear no helmet where there are helmet laws, ticket.

Some states ban motorized bicycles, no exceptions.

Here in Kokomo, Indiana I have ridden some of the new 49cc scooters that do 75MPH and haven't gotten pulled over yet. Most cops here are too lazy to care. I have even seen a few 150cc scooters with the 1 decal removed being ridden as 50cc. Main thing on a bike with motor is HAVE LIGHTS, TURN SIGNALS, Mirrors, and wear a helmet. Especially if you live in a busy city. Like I always say you don't have to worry about your driving, only everybody else's driving.

I beleive they are in fl ive seen a couple there.

Not here in NJ, it qualifies as a motorized bicycle (Moped). It must be under 50cc It must be registered, insured, and have a plate. It must be capable of speeds UNDER 25 mph, it may go no faster. The dmv will almost defitely give you a hard time because it is not a moped, it is a homebuilt motored bicycle and ttherefore has no brand to insure/register.

Not here in NJ, it qualifies as a motorized bicycle (Moped). It must be under 50cc It must be registered, insured, and have a plate. It must be capable of speeds UNDER 25 mph, it may go no faster. The dmv will almost defitely give you a hard time because it is not a moped, it is a homebuilt motored bicycle and ttherefore has no brand to insure/register.

Not here in NJ, it qualifies as a motorized bicycle (Moped). It must be registered, insured, and have a plate. It must be capable of speeds UNDER 25 mph, it may go no faster. The dmv will almost defitely give you a hard time because it is not a moped, it is a homebuilt motored bicycle and ttherefore has no brand to insure/register.

In the USA, you need to check your own state's and city's laws. Every state has its own rules--and cities can restrict them even further, even prohibiting them entirely.

Do not assume that just because one US state does it one way, that the others are "probably about the same": a few allow them with no restrictions, some few require a drivers license, some require license + registration, and still others do not allow them at all. A few only allow electrics (with various levels of requirements) but do not allow gas engines. A couple don't say either way if they're legal or not.

Another thing to keep in mind: bolting a 50cc engine to a bicycle does NOT always make it "legally equal to a moped". Mopeds come with DOT ratings for a bunch of their parts and federal VINs stamped onto the frames, and bicycles don't.

-------

If motorized bicycles aren't legal where you live AND there's no inspections for mopeds, then the easiest way to do this is probably to just buy a junked moped that still has a good title, switch the title to your name and register it, and then customize it as you like, making sure to use the part of the moped frame that has the VIN on it in the new frame (that you would need to weld together). Some of the other parts would have to be used also (lighting, for one) but you could still do a lot with it.

If that's too much work, then you can still try an electric stealth setup. Most police don't know/don't care what an electric bicycle motor looks or sounds like, and electric setups are quieter and much easier to hide.

Electric bikes are regulated by feds, and states aren't allowed to enact more stringent rules on them. See CPSC definition of a bicycle.

Max 750 watt motor. Must not go over 20 mph w/a 175lb rider.

About the only thing G-Dub did while in office that I approve of!

Here in Florida they frown on gas powered bikes, the law is worded poorly so you will probably get a ticket. They don't like them here in Jax, they can't give them away on CL here. but electric is a different story, no problem.

Wildcat i dont think brevard has much of a problem with them i seen like 8 gas bikes over the summer its cool watching how fast they go on a causeways downhill.

in Connecticut the rules are: Must be smaller than 50cc, less than 5hp, and be regulated to less than 35mph, must have brake lights, high and low beam headlights, signal lights, loud horn, and have a seat height of less than 28inches (from bottom bracket or lowest point of seat tube to bottom of saddle.) No motorbike class motorcycle is allowed on limited access highways.

My motorized Ocean Pacific meets all regulations save for the seat is technically too high, and it has no brake lights (does have cool strobing tails though.)

My 2002 Kymco Yup 50cc 2-stroker scooter has an extremely modified carb and nasty Malossi variator, plus an completely unrestricted CDI unit. It hits 60mph on flats and has gps verified hit 75 mph down hill. I have never been pulled over, though a local cop once told me to slow it down.

In this state older dudes usually don't have a problem. They will pull over a 150cc with the quickness though.

Here in NY, they're pretty tough on this sort of thing. With only a few exceptions, a motorized bicycle falls under a sort of "other" motorized vehicle catagory with gokarts, minibikes, motorized scooters and such. That's considered different from motorcycles, mopeds, ATVs, etc. As such, they do not meet any sort of regulations for safety and are not allowed on any public streets or sidewalks. About the only place you can legally operate one is on private property with permission from the land owner.

The exception to that is the state does recognize a handful of professionally built models - like from Whizzer - as meeting the state's rules and regulations. There is a list of acceptable manufacturers that the state maintains, but no where on it is anything resembling a home-made conversion, either by kit or custom job. That's probably the biggest thing holding me back from building one, I certainly have enough frames to work with. There's just no place I can use it. At least with my race karts I can enter them in sanctioned competition...

New yorks got some stupid rules you need a handgun license to buy or carry a airsoft gun within city limits. I ride my bike on the sidewalks all the time although its technically illegal my trikes not fitting it the bike margin and i dont trust long islanders driving if it did.

JoKeR63 said:
Electric bikes are regulated by feds, and states aren't allowed to enact more stringent rules on them. See CPSC definition of a bicycle.

The federal classification for electric bicycles gives technical limits that the CSPC can regulate relating to manufacturing complete bicycles, but the Federal definition doesn't state that such bicycles are legal to use on any public roads. They don't even say that you can use an "approved" electric bike everywhere you can ride a non-motorized bicycle:

from- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Use

"...Where federal funds have been used in the construction of bicycle or pedestrian paths, electric bicycles (defined as "any bicycle or tricycle with a low-powered electric motor weighing under 100 pounds, with a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour" (23 U.S.C. § 217(j)(2)) ) are not permitted unless state or local regulations permit. Title 23, U.S. Code § 217(h)(4).[27] "

To be legal to use on public roads, motorized bicycles would need to be allowed in your own state's motor vehicle laws.

-------

Federal and state parks are another trap area: even if you KNOW that motorized bicycles are legal to ride on public roads in your state, and the park has bicycle trails--it is probably about a 99.99% chance that the ONLY motorized vehicles that you can take on the paths are electric wheelchairs for handicapped people.

Road rules and park rules are written "opposite ways"; road rules normally tell you what you cannot do, and anything not mentioned is allowed. Park rules are normally written to say what you can do (in the park), and anything the rules don't say is allowed, isn't.

DougC said:
JoKeR63 said:

The federal classification for electric bicycles gives technical limits that the CSPC can regulate relating to manufacturing complete bicycles, but the Federal definition doesn't state that such bicycles are legal to use on any public roads. They don't even say that you can use an "approved" electric bike everywhere you can ride a non-motorized bicycle:

from- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Use

"...Where federal funds have been used in the construction of bicycle or pedestrian paths, electric bicycles (defined as "any bicycle or tricycle with a low-powered electric motor weighing under 100 pounds, with a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour" (23 U.S.C. § 217(j)(2)) ) are not permitted unless state or local regulations permit. Title 23, U.S. Code § 217(h)(4).[27] "

To be legal to use on public roads, motorized bicycles would need to be allowed in your own state's motor vehicle laws.

-------

Federal and state parks are another trap area: even if you KNOW that motorized bicycles are legal to ride on public roads in your state, and the park has bicycle trails--it is probably about a 99.99% chance that the ONLY motorized vehicles that you can take on the paths are electric wheelchairs for handicapped people.

Road rules and park rules are written "opposite ways"; road rules normally tell you what you cannot do, and anything not mentioned is allowed. Park rules are normally written to say what you can do (in the park), and anything the rules don't say is allowed, isn't.

Leave it to Wiki to have such a detailed analysis,was going from memory from 7 years ago.

And leave it to the states to fudge it up. I always thought trails were off limits anyhow.

I dont do anything legal on a bike anyway :wink: ive used on/off ramps with my trike before.

When my brother in West Palm Beach was going to put one on his Columbia Trike then an officer or whoever said he wasn't allowed to put any motor no matter what it was in Florida without it needing headlights, turn signals, tail lights and I think he said a license too.

Latest posts

Back