"Bike Barn" Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the first bikes I spotted the first time I went to the Barn last year. The owner said it was the bike he rode around for his own. When winter came, his son piled all the outside bikes into the barn on top on others. I went in December and pulled this one out and told him to put it in his garage before it gets all dented up. So I took some bikes I wasn't using and did some trading and came home with this today. He said I could come back and swap out the seat for something more original to the bike, pedals too. I don't have access to the Elgin/Higgins/Hawthorne book to help with year id. It has the brass badge, big H, Wards on top and Hawthorne on the bottom. Serial # F70117 with the CW. I really dig the light. Is the small divider over the lens a protecter of some sort? I got the horn to work but I am still trying to get the light to light up. MIssing the rear light in the carrier. Anyone know what it is suppose to look like? Tank looks the same as what Nate just found on the Hiawatha. I looked at a lot of posts under Hawthorne ID and if any of this helps, I know Phil keeps a good database on CW frames. It has been repainted but I will probably just clean it up and add it to the fleet. The bikes I took there in trade were a Hiawatha St. Croix that I bought there last summer and a couple of others that I just didn't ride. Don't want a museum. I like to ride them. Thanks again for all the help here. This was my birthday present! PS. If anyone comes to W. Michigan, and wants to stop in at the Barn, PM me and I'll give you the owners number.

DSC_3784-1.jpg

DSC_3786.jpg

DSC_3793.jpg

DSC_3791.jpg

DSC_3800.jpg

DSC_3797.jpg

DSC_3795.jpg

Im not sure on the year but I think on the CWC frames it is the last number which is a 7 would mean it is a 47 or 57 and I would guess it is a 47 and the tail light would be similar if not the same as the repop Roadmaster luxury liner. and it does look very similar to my Hiawatha I just picked up cool bike.

This is the same bike just badged as a western flyer on feebay 260790267500

It goes more by the first letter. Post war for sure, 46/47/48 - I don't recall the sequence. The wheel set and crankset have been changed but those are good looking hoops.

Thanks for all the comments guys and for the information. The paint job is fair and I also like the color even if it is not original. I might take a little lacquer thinner to a small spot to see whats underneath. It was primed with red primer but I think the original is red. Still wonder about the light with the metal divider on the front. Nate, thanks for the info on the rear rack light. The later model Luxury Liners have this one I think. I printed up that Western Flyer on Ebay for a sample. Rockit, that's my 1950 Chevy Panel. Not too fancy but a daily driver. One of these days I'll post some pics of that under the "Rides" post. Ratina, thanks for the Ross sprocket id. You never know what your gonna get with these old bikes being swapped out. I'll ride it this summer and decided this winter what to do about the color. It will be fun to get it running soon. Brian

After looking at the photos of this bike I found details that lead me in several directions. Unfortunately I do not have reference photos of a perfect version of this bike to compare to and the CWC built Hawthornes are not completely cataloged in the postwar Wards consumer catalogs for reference. (The postwar catalogs show a pronounced bias toward the concurrently built Snyder versions.)

Regarding the serial number, the suffix is the most important part of the number for dating most postwar CWC built bikes. Its importance is followed by the first letter in the sequence and lastly the serial number itself which is five digits and presumably just a sequential register in the series defined by the other information. I think Nate may be confusing CWC serial numbers with Huffman numbers that can generally be year coded by the first number in the sequence.

Chronologically the “Cw” series is the second postwar series, produced roughly from 1947 through 1949, following the first postwar series which did not use a serial number suffix and coming before those with an “ACw” suffix. The Cw series bikes have serial numbers that begin with the letters “A” through “J” excepting the letter “I”. Without going too far afield I’ll note that some of the “A” through “C” serial numbers that appear to date to this second postwar run do not include the Cw suffix but are clearly later production than the earlier non-suffixed bikes.

My serial number model was built on the notion that the letters were used chronologically but recent conversations I have had with the Dean of Classic American Bicycle History, Leon Dixon, have brought up the revelation that is not necessarily so. Leon noted that the serial number sequences were in many cases tied to longer term contracts that may have been produced in batches to follow retail demand making them much less linear than my model can depict. To date individual bikes, you can supply information to Leon through the NBHAA and his records will provide a more accurate picture than my model.

With most of the above serving as a caveat, I would say that this frame, based on the serial number coupled with the physical features of the frame, dates to late 1948 or early 1949. One thing that throws me is the head badge (which I can’t see clearly.) Wards changed head badges at least three times during the late forties and only the second version features vertical mounting holes, all the others are horizontal. I can’t tell from the photo if the badge has vertical tabs or is being located solely by the head badge screws resting on the edges of the badge. If the badge does have tabs under the screws it is the second version but so far, that badge seems to have been replaced by the next style after 1947.

I also do not have references that show that headlight used on a CWC built Hawthorne. (It is the standard headlight for the Snyder built deluxe Hawthornes from the late forties/early fifties, and should have a two-tone lens that is shaped with ribs that follow the contours of the wind split.)

The Saddle and drive train were mentioned as non-original. I also question the rear fender for both the short tail and the misfit of the fender dimples at the stays. It is possible that this bike was assembled from more than one bike but all in all, most of the parts for an original deluxe CWC Hawthorne are present and it looks like it will be a fun ride and possibly a fun research project to discover more about over time.

Back