Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

The bike is officially finished. Barring a possible sidecar or such. Here are a couple of pictures of the bike with the latest upgrades. External pushrods, Comet belt cover, external oil lines on the engine case. Everything is running great. Completely reliable and road worthy.
photo-52.jpg

photo-51.jpg

Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

cobrafreak said:
Completely reliable

So much for authenticity. :lol: JK, looks great. 8)

Got my award finally.

I finally got my award for best of class (Other Class) at the 2nd annual A&S BMW vintage motorcycle show. I was the only one at the show that won that didn't get a trophy because the mine was on the bottom of the box and the paint got ruined. It had to be rebuild and the guy that did it went to Germany for a vacation, so it's nearly 2 months late, but better late than never. I appreciate winning a best of class award at an all motorcycle event. They really dug it.
photo-53.jpg

well it took awhile to get it done but man it turned out super great. very nice build. kudo's to you. the only thing I have else to say is:

WOW WOW WOW

Outlaw :mrgreen:

EasyRiders bike show

I signed up my Indian in the 2012 EasyRiders Custom Bike Show in Sacramento CA an January 14th and 15th 2012. This show attracts 20,000 people, so it's going to be BIG. Should be a lot of fun. I signed up under the People's Choice rather than Judged division.

I love your bike but have some questions as I'd like to copy your drivetrain for a bike that I am planning on building. First off, is this engine and torque converter similar to what you are using?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 1024_21024

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170707829036?ss ... 1925wt_886

If not can you post some links where you got yours from? Also what rear hub and accompanying parts (brake, adapter for engine chain, etc) are you using?
Hopefully you didn't already post all of this, I saw bits and pieces of this info throughout your thread but missed some of the info.

Thanks-
JohnThomas Sorrels

Ok, I read through your thread again and found the answers about the engine and CVT, is the connecting rod and 18lb valve springs the only thing you replaced in the engine or are there accompanying parts required? Also, I looked on Harborfreights' website and they don't have a greyhound engine listed, I might go into a nearby H.F. tomorrow and see what they have in stock, do you or anyone else know what to look for on the engine to see if it will be compatible in case the greyhounds aren't available? Did you use the model 1002 torque converter?

cobrafreak said:
Hello, sorry for the delay. You can use the current Harbor Freight 6.5 Predator engine. They recently made available for it the billet connecting rod and cams, so you are good to go for longevity. The Comet Torque Verter you posted is the same one I use. They made two models for clone engines. One is for the small shaft which is 5/8" and the other is for the big engine at 1" or 8hp and under or over 8hp. It's made for the 5.0 and 6.5 engine. I also put on the 22mm Mikuni Carb. You can't use the stock carb as the stock unit is only able to operate when the engine is in the stock running configuration. When you tip it up on end the float bowel will not operate. I have almost 2k miles and the engine is running fine. Having a lot of fun. The Sacramento Easy Rider show I'm in is in two weeks, so I'm pumped up about that.

2012 Easyrider motorcycle show results

I won 2nd place at the Easyrider motorcycle show in the Peoples Choice Antique Motorcycle Class!!! It was so cool to see some of the coolest custom motorcycles in the world and be a participant and actually win a trophy! I'm on top of the world. :lol: So I got the trophy and had a bunch of photos taken, got a free case of Lucas Oil for winning an award, but I received a much better prize. After all the awards were handed out, the leading photographer for Easyrider Magazine, Mike Chase, awards one grand prize to the one bike in the field that he views as "the best most devoted build, something that is put together unlike any other". He started talking about "this builder who couldn't possibly ever own the bike of his dreams and he toiled for hundreds of hours creating the motorcycle out of simply nothing". Then Mr. Chase started talking about 1911 Indians and how much they cost and how rare they are and I realized he was talking about me! I couldn't believe it! So I won an exclusive professional photo session at his studio in Santa Rosa CA later this year worth $750.00, and possibly the chance to be in a publication. Everyone was applauding and I was almost ready to faint. This was an absolutely incredible weekend!

photo-69.jpg

photo-71.jpg

photo-67.jpg

photo-73.jpg

Here is My life long friend Bob (friends since 3rd grade). He helped me set up and was a great help. The bike in the foreground is the first place winner in my class. It's a super modified 1960 Triumph Cub. A little flashy, but done with no expense spared.
photo-72.jpg

This is a bike that is from Big Boy Motorcycles. I hung out with the owner of the company for the weekend at the show and talked a lot. He is based out of Placerville CA and let me tell you, the production value and engineering into this bike is very nice. The engine is a Honda 90 and the bikes run about $4500.00 and worth it in my eyes. They said they whipped butt in the Grange race too with it. I want to get together with these guys and ride on Hwy 49 with a group of people.
photo-70.jpg

Well I have not logged in for(wow) about a year. Money and time put my build on the back burner. I have fallowed your post with great interest. I guess I get to be the first to say congratulations. I think this is awesome, you built this bike for the enjoyment of the build and now you have been honored for it . So again congrats :D

Your bike is just AWESOME! I love the patina and "imperfection" in the details. It has so much character and tells the passion you build it with. Great!

Hannesito said:
Your bike is just AWESOME! I love the patina and "imperfection" in the details. It has so much character and tells the passion you build it with. Great!

Yeah, I wanted it to look like it really was old. I recently took it to a brass era automobile swap meet and rode it down the isles at the outdoor venue and parked it next to a 1908 race car. Had lots of people enthusiastic about it. About less than 10% don't approve and say it's a fake, but everyone else gets that it's a fun toy to ride and experience. It puts smiles on peoples faces.

Great build it seems flawless!Congrats on the award 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back