Heavy Duti Schwinn build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just got one of these frames from Ind Chuck.
30-3894-YBL-SIDE.JPG

Don't know exactly what direction its gonna go, but frame came with a somewhat weird gooseneck with a really big spline where the bars mount. Do these come with their own bars?

all the SCHDs i've ever seen took a standard 1" diameter handlebar... does the stem appear to be original? Have you got any pictures of it?
Took a pic today (sorry only had phone)
Here it is.
Heavy%20Duti%20Gooseneck_zpssk3zlath.jpg

My bars seem to big dia to fit this gooseneck tho.

Huh. It looks to me that what may appear to be splines might just be some surface texture to enhance grip, kind of like knurling at the clamp interface on most handlebars? But it's odd that your bars seem to big; what's the ID of the clamp?

Gooseneck seems close to 1" but undersize enough I cant get standard handlebar knurl to fit. I'm gonna pull the hex head cap screw that clamps the bars and pry the gap open to maybe get the bars to fit.

That's one approach. I'd convert to threadless and love life, myself.
Actually have the donor parts to make that happen, but I will save the gooseneck for another bike. I have a '56 Puch built J.C.Higgins, gooseneck is all cracked..... :39:

That stem won't fit your Puch-built bike. The neckis made for 1.125" forks, so the OD of the quill is 1"; your vintage Higgins will need a 7/8" quill for 1" fork... Stll, well-worth keeping it around, just in case.

My Heavy Duti had the same stem. I seem to remember having the same troubles trying to get handlebars to fit in it. I didn't waste much time trying to figure it out, though, because I have a strong aversion to painted black bicycle components, and a strong love for everything chrome :bigsmile:. Finding a nice chrome 1 1/8 gooseneck was a whole 'nother challenge, though.

Back