Re: Hood Rat, UPDATED with a sneak peak of the color scheme
I finished the paint, and assembled most of the bike.
The colors used were rust colored primer, and then the frame got a coat of metallic black. I then used a Duplicolor metallic clear coat on top of it. You can't tell from these photos, but the black really gleams. It makes for a great contrast against the flat rust of all of the parts.
This shot in the sunlight is my attempt to show the metallic gleam.
On the "tank," I have these "DeVille" signs that I'll be putting on each side.
I've got a lot of car/motorcycle parts on here. The hood ornament and the "DeVille" signs are from old cars, and the headlight, the taillight, the horn, the grips, and the saddlebag are motorcycle parts.
I still need to make a kickstand, and I need to finish wiring the lights. I'm not sure I'll wire the horn, and I'm not sure any of it will work on only six volts, but we'll see.
Most of my time in the shop has lately been making my two scratch built frames, Science #1 and #2, but I did squeeze in a couple of small changes to the bike, and thought I'd update.
I added another car detail to the faux-tank. I got these "DeVille" pieces from e-bay.
I then heated up the laid back seat post that I had made, and bent it so that it wasn't a perfect 90 degrees. It's old posture had made it leaning downward, so I re-bent it at a slightly obtuse angle, so that the post comes straight back, parallel to the ground. It makes the seat position more comfortable.
Just have to test out the wiring, and then see if I can had the wires a bit better, and it's done!
Last couple of touches were done today, and I think I'm ready to call this thing done! Ultimately, the wiring might be better if I had drilled some holes, and hidden them, but I decided against that kind of damage to this frame, and so, that cable from the back light is the only thing that bugs me a little. Overall, I'm very happy with the bike. I snapped just a couple of shots, as the light was wrong today. I'm hoping to get some good shots of the finished product tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's what I did.
I got a shot of the kickstand. The one I wanted to use was too long, so I heated it up, and bent it until it fit! Then I put some primer on it, same as all the other parts:
The one shot of the finished bike, with better shots coming soon: