How many bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many bikes does everyone have to work on at any given time? I just started building bikes again so i put a listing on our local FB swap shop pages for bikes people didnt want any more (hoping to get some old rusty gems) and by monday I should have around 20 bikes of all sizes and ages. Fun times. 20 bikes in different states of dis repair on top of our normal 5 family bikes and a john deere trike. hoping i have room to get into my shop and actually work on them

picked up a 94 bridgestone mb6 the other day and picking up another 15 to 20 bikes sight unseen tomorrow from one person and 4 others from other people by monday, Im hoping atleast half just need cleaned up so I can flip them and make room for the project bikes.

I only have a small shed so I am limited to around 20-30 bikes at any given time. I still buy more bikes but if it's nothing special I break it down to the frame, box up the parts, and scrap the frame.

Was just asking because when i told my wife that including the bikes we already had i was getting 20 more to work with and she was like ok where are you going to put them all and looked at me like i was crazy so i wanted to show her i wasnt the only person in the world that had that many bikes laying around the shop

I've got 15 hanging in the basement with 3 of those works in progress. Make sure you fix up a nice bike for your wife...even if she never rides it. :wink: Gary

dragnusa said:
... looked at me like i was crazy so i wanted to show her i wasnt the only person in the world that had that many bikes laying around the shop

you are crazy.

so are we. you're just showing her you're not the only person in the world who's crazy. just try to act sane in the other parts of your life so she won't have you commited...

...maybe.

dragnusa said:
Was just asking because when i told my wife that including the bikes we already had i was getting 20 more to work with and she was like ok where are you going to put them all and looked at me like i was crazy so i wanted to show her i wasnt the only person in the world that had that many bikes laying around the shop

A collector I know here in Kokomo has a 3 car garage FULL a shelf built on one side with over and under bike storage FULL, also 3 very large sheds I'd say 20'x20' with lofts all 3 are FULL loft AND floor, and a side yard FULL of part bikes. Also the space between the house and garage has a few more part bikes.

And I've never been in the house or basement. But I know he also rents a large storage unit full of bikes too. American Pickers would have a heart attack soon as he opened the door. The bad news is he KNOWS what they are, Knows what all are worth, Asks 10% higher that it's worth if he doesn't want to sell it,(most of them) and most are near MINT or restored.

I've counted a minimum of 150 bikes................................. in the garage alone.

outskirtscustoms said:
dragnusa said:

A collector I know here in Kokomo has a 3 car garage FULL a shelf built on one side with over and under bike storage FULL, also 3 very large sheds I'd say 20'x20' with lofts all 3 are FULL loft AND floor, and a side yard FULL of part bikes. Also the space between the house and garage has a few more part bikes.

And I've never been in the house or basement. But I know he also rents a large storage unit full of bikes too. American Pickers would have a heart attack soon as he opened the door. The bad news is he KNOWS what they are, Knows what all are worth, Asks 10% higher that it's worth if he doesn't want to sell it,(most of them) and most are near MINT or restored.

I've counted a minimum of 150 bikes................................. in the garage alone.

As stated in your signature,
"There is a fine line between collecting and hoarding and I flirt with it everyday"
:lol: That collector is on the wrong side, methinks! :mrgreen: I probably have a bit over 100, but most are projects that are to sell after. And a lot of them, mainly the ladies' ballooners, I was originally going to resell, but then parts prices kept climbing, and then "Picker's Syndrome" became a factor! Hopefully, if I can actually find time to work on them, I'll be able to work it down to about 25. -Adam

I'd have to go out and count, I think I have about 8 upstairs in the shop, 16 downstairs shop, about 8 in the backyard (plus a parts pile equivalent to 4+ bikes), and about 15 at the church house. Of all those bikes, about half are projects or for projects.

Rustinkerer said:
outskirtscustoms said:
dragnusa said:

As stated in your signature,
"There is a fine line between collecting and hoarding and I flirt with it everyday"
:lol: That collector is on the wrong side, methinks! :mrgreen: I probably have a bit over 100, but most are projects that are to sell after. And a lot of them, mainly the ladies' ballooners, I was originally going to resell, but then parts prices kept climbing, and then "Picker's Syndrome" became a factor! Hopefully, if I can actually find time to work on them, I'll be able to work it down to about 25. -Adam

Well if you saw the collection you'd understand his obsession. He's got a garage full of gold. Old Elgins, Colsons, few Ben Hurrs, Batwing lights, and tank ballooners as far as the eye can see. Lucky grey haired fart.

i'm not countin' 'em. as long as i don't know the exact number, i can always say, "aw, there ain't that many".

plausible deniability, i think it's called.

2004 Trek 1500 road bike
2010 Giant Xtc 29er
Electra Pink Fink (I've powedcoated satin black)
Electra Deluxe
1950's Columbia Tandem (I'm motorizing)

1954 Schwinn Wasp,
1956 Schwinn American,
1958 Schwinn American,
1966 Schwinn Heavy Duty,
1968 Schwinn Hollywood (My fiance's),
1960's Hawthorne,
Peugeot folder,
1960's spaceliner,
1990's Royce union mountain bike with trigger shifters (daily rider going to become a military bike),
Del Sol Hybrid bike (becoming a chopper),
and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Wow. Ive only counting the one i daily ride is three bikes and one trike. The other things are a mustang and kinetic tfr. I had a real nice diamond back frame i parted and had to throw away. Im picky with bikes though. I love me some 80s mtbs with center pull cantis.

I try not to work on more than one or two at a time, mostly so I can keep the parts straight. But as it happens, I've got three bikes apart at the moment - 2 Varsitys and a Columbia middleweight. But inevitably I'm the one that fixes other family member's bikes. So, in the time I've had these three bikes apart, I've also worked on my nephew's, my father's and my niece's...

I've got 11 bikes in my basement shop currently, five of which are fully in riding order. The others are projects in one state or another. Then, there are another 20 or so out in the garage loft (future projects)...

Latest posts

Back