I dont get Burritos?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting to offend owners or prospective owners here, but i just don't get the whole Burrito thing (or tall bikes for that matter...but thats a whole different story) They look uncomfortable too ride and highly impractical, anythng taller than an ant and your in trouble...so ...whats the appeal? What am i missing?

KiM

EDIT: OH..aha and why are they even called 'Burritos' i don't get that either? I believe this is some sort of food you Americans eat? how is this relevant too a bicycle?

I think it's kind of like having a Caddy so low it needs skid plates to get out of the driveway. Not practical, just fun. :) A burrito is a Central American latino food, meat and/or beans wrapped in a soft tortilla, looks a little like a giant eggroll. :wink:

My Burrito is one of the most comfortable bikes I have. It cruises great and turns heads.
Excuse the outfit,this was at TDF San Diego

sandiegopic.jpg

Called a burrito cause you eat it when you crash!
BicycleArt002.jpg
BicycleArt004.jpg
BicycleArt005.jpg
And then of course it's something only an artist could love.

I reckon they're about as "hotrod" as a bicycle can get - take a mundane form of transport and chop/fettle/crazify it into something outrageous. Excellent!

(Admittedly, the first one I saw had me scratching my head, but then it all clicked :idea: :D )

I don't get them either. That said, I don't mind them. I just don't plan on building one. As far as the name, I believe it came from the now defunct chopperbicycle.net. Somebody built one, and then others built to similar design and style. Similar to the (Hooch's?) original boardtrack bicycle and the now epidemic. People started calling them burritos, and there was an official naming thread. People were used to burrito so it stuck. As for a "real" burrito, you take a tortilla and fill it with meat cheese, beans, rice, and salsa before rolling into a log like thing. Then there's California style which takes the standard formula and adds guacamole, grilled vegies, mango, whatever floats your boat, and rolls the whole thing in aluminium foil to make eating on the go a bit easier.

bigblockthing said:
...and im pretty sure im the first person to ever use a meatcleaver as a shift lever and a bowling trophy figure as a fender ornament

I don't wanna be a "Richard", but I love it when guys think they are the first to come up with something! On a daily basis I see things on this board and many others that are "the firsts" that I've usually seen several times before.
I did the meatclever shifter thingy about 3 years ago and I know that there have been others long before mine. As far as the bowling trophy figure fender ornament. I think just about every type of trophy topper has seen atleast one fender over the years. Probably before you or I were born (or close to it). I think it's fair to say that both are unique but that's about as close as anything gets, especially with all the talent that our hobby offers.

I will say that you inspired me to pull out my old meatclever shifter to use on an upcoming build! :D

If you find a Burrito or tallbike not comnfortable, or any bike for that matter, it's probably not built for you. Or it needs something different like a seat or handlebars, maybe more. Lots of times I see a bike that someone's built with the seat slammed down on the frame and crank arms so long that at the top stroke they're higher than the top frame tube. Then the builder/owner elaborates on how comfy and controllable this bike is! :shock: Maybe it is for him but not for me!

The guys I ride with vary in height and weight drastically but everyone rides each others bikes (or atleast tries to). I've ridden some of the most beautioful bikes you'll ever see and hated every minute of it! But I appreciate how well it rode for others. My bikes are the same way. I'm tall from the waste up with short legs (for my size). I'm also heavyset. So some people won't even go near my beasts, while others will fight over taking them for a spin!

As far as the Burrito name, Stretch posted the original CBN thread awhile back on this board, try doing a search.

October said it! You have to ride one to understand ..... kinda like "It's a Jeep thing"!

Cheers for the replys fellas..and no i haven't ridden either a burrito or a tallbike. A burrito would be a possibity
for me too ride if i put some out riggers on it but i wouldn't attempt riding a tall bike. I road a unicycle many years
ago (before becoming a parapglegic) and it was tall as some of the tall bikes i have seen here...still dont get the
attraction sorry... I think Korporal summed up my centiments regarding the burritos

Korporal said:
I don't get them either. That said, I don't mind them. I just don't plan on building one.

Cheers again guys...have fun with your Burritos...OH..they sort of look like Tacos but with a soft
wrapping, we get Tacos here in OZ i haven't seen Burritos sold, then again i haven't really looked for them either
i very very rarely eat any form of fast food.

KiM

AussieJester said:
Not wanting to offend owners or prospective owners here, but i just don't get the whole Burrito thing (or tall bikes for that matter...but thats a whole different story) They look uncomfortable too ride and highly impractical, anythng taller than an ant and your in trouble...so ...whats the appeal? What am i missing?

KiM

EDIT: OH..aha and why are they even called 'Burritos' i don't get that either? I believe this is some sort of food you Americans eat? how is this relevant too a bicycle?

AJ, hi. The name Burrito was thought up by a guy named Marty Eden on the old Chopperbicycle.net site. He used to build bikes out of conduit that wound up breaking when people rode them. He was a bit of an odd duck and came up with the idea of calling these low slung bikes "Burritos" after the famous mexican food, why? because he was an odd duck, no other reason needed. He had an oddball group of fans who were mostly young kids, and they took to the name and it stuck :oops: They are not my cup of tea but they do ride ok if made right.

Tall bikes have been around since the time they used to have guys light gas street lamps. It was a popular bike fad in the 1950's and 1960s in north America. You can read a little about them in John Brains history of bikes at bike rod and kustom.

Dorian

i've never done the full on burrito as the guys on cbn created it, but i have made quite a few stretch cruisers and i don't ride much else now. if you build it to fit you, find a good seat, handle bars, gear it comfortable, etc., you just can't beat it for general cruising.

except for the iceberg experiment i'm playing with recently (that hasn't been ridden much either), if i pull out any upright bike i have, i'm liable to only ride it down the street a piece, then take it back and get my stretch.

Picture123.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Dorian said:
AJ, hi. The name Burrito was thought up by a guy named Marty Eden on the old Chopperbicycle.net site.
i didn't know he came up with the name. i miss posts from him. even now when i'm thinking on something i remember "letting my noodle wiggle".

i think marty just might have breathed too many fumes from brazing galvanized tubing :wink:
what happened to the CBN?

oct.

Korporal said:
I don't get them either. That said, I don't mind them. I just don't plan on building one. As far as the name, I believe it came from the now defunct chopperbicycle.net. Somebody built one, and then others built to similar design and style. Similar to the (Hooch's?) original boardtrack bicycle and the now epidemic. People started calling them burritos, and there was an official naming thread. People were used to burrito so it stuck. As for a "real" burrito, you take a tortilla and fill it with meat cheese, beans, rice, and salsa before rolling into a log like thing. Then there's California style which takes the standard formula and adds guacamole, grilled vegies, mango, whatever floats your boat, and rolls the whole thing in aluminium foil to make eating on the go a bit easier.
I don't know what part of California you have been that they serve you that, but where I'm from you will get beat up for calling that a burrito. We have carne asda asada,al pastor,carnitas,lengua,sesos,tripas,chorizo,and suadero. That thing you call "california style" is called a "wrap". :D

It's cool to watch how you guys build these Taco bikes....Burrito Bikes. I'd be embarrassed to ride one around town. Plus, it's a step away from ridding a recumbent bike. And a recumbent is about as dorky as you can get, while at the same time reducing your visibility in traffic. And that's irony. People who drive recumbent bikes are odd balls and if you ever ask them anything about their bike, they get really defensive.
Also to the original poster from Australia, I think, don't get Californians started on the Burrito(food) thing. They get really serious about it. Burrito is to the Californian as wine and cheese is to the French.
Oh and I'm planning on organizing a local tall bike ride, a leisure ride around the city with a couple low overpasses. I'm thinking 8 feet oughta do the job....

chimichanga said:
I don't know what part of California you have been that they serve you that, but where I'm from you will get beat up for calling that a burrito. We have carne asda asada,al pastor,carnitas,lengua,sesos,tripas,chorizo,and suadero. That thing you call "california style" is called a "wrap". :D

How could you forget chimichanga? Y cabeza, chile verde, chile relleno, polla asada, machaca ...., dang geting hungry again. Order a "California style" burrito anywhere around here and you'll get carne asada, guacamole, sour cream, salsa fresca, and french fries in it. Definitely no grilled veggies, unless those be jalapenos.

Still think Honest Abes burrito bike was one of the best looking combining the rat and low looks, although I saw Tikiharis at the San Diego TDF and that was a looker, too bad his rear hub was acting up, but seemed very rideable while it was working. Uphills will always be an issue with the crank that far out in front though.

Honest Abe's
abestanker.jpg

Latest posts

Back